HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Vomit

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Vomit

Dear dr.
I am a person that panics if a bleed an vomit. Yesterday I shaved and cut myself and threw up on my bleeding cut. I have eaten at a Resturant an hour earlier. Is It a risk?
Welcome to our Forum. This, as well as your last post suggest that you do not have a clear understanding of how HIV is transmitted from person to person.  HIV is adults is transmitted ONLY through unprotected genital or ano-genital intercourse and through injection of infected material deep into tissue.  The exposure that you describe has no conceivable risk for HIV and should not concern you.

I should also remind you that we request that clients ask no more than two new questions to us on these forums in any 6 month period so that others will have access to the site.  You may ask a follow-up question to the question you asked above however.

I hope this reply is helpful.  EWH