HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
What is the Best test for both hiv subtypes B and non B

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Just wondering what is the best test for both non-B and B subtypes of HIV 1. I had exposure to a patients blood on my palm 6 months ago.  I washed off the blood with bathroom soap. However I noticed that I had a lot of hang nails. Since then I have had weight loss, night sweats and axillary discomfort with lymphadenopathy noted once at about 3 months post exposure by ultrasound but resolved subsequently, though with residual bilateral arm pit pain without any more inflamed lymph nodes by repeat ultrasound and CT scan 2 and 4 weeks later.  I was now able to convince the patient to get an Hiv test. She had a western blot test for hiv 1 which was negative. But the test indicated that if non-B subtype hiv1 or hiv2 is suspected, further test needed to be done. She had a neagative hiv 2 EIA test subsequently. I just tested as well and had a negative ICMA hiv1/0/2 antibody test from labcorp. This is at about 6 months 9 days post pottential hiv exposure.Does ICMA labcorp hiv antibody test also check for non B subtype of hiv1 ? What is the appropriate test that will cover all subtypes of hiv1? Patient has hepatitis B also. I have the immunity from vaccination. My titers came back great.
Welcome to the Forum. Before I comment on testing. let me tell you that the exposure you describe did not put you at any risk for infection.  The sort of surface contamination that you describe, even with hangnails or other cuts on your hands is not a risk factor for HIV and there is no reason to be worried about it/

As far as testing is concerned, the tests she and you have both had conclusively indicate that neither of you has HIV of ANY sort.  Concerns about different subtypes is the sort of concern that internet mis-information generates but has no substance.  Persons with all varieties of HIV have positive or, at least indeterminate tests.  When persons have indeterminate tests, further testing is done to sort things out.  For you to be worried that you might have some sort of HIV that was not detected is not a good use of your time.

It does however sound as though you have had some health issues over the past few months. If this is the case, rather than worry about something that you have proof that you do not have, I suggest that you discuss your symptoms with a doctor who can provide you with a comprehensive evaluation.  Worrying about HIV further will just distract you and you certainly do not need further testing for HIV.  EWH
I spoke with the lab today. The patient did have a low titre positive reative ICMA 1/0/2 antibody test of 1.1( with <1.0 being negative non reactive cutoff).
What test is next appropriate aside from the western blot confirmation test?
Is my negative test six months 9 days after exposure to this blood conclusive? Is there anyother test I can do to make sure that I am ok?
Any positve but particularly a, low titer of this sort should be both repeated and confirmed using either a Western blot or, in some instances a nucleic acid amplification (PCR) test.  None of this however changes the facts that your exposure did not put you are any meaningful risk or that your own tests are negative.  You need to stop worrying, believe the tests and got over this.  I will not continue to fuel your anxieties through continuing to address questions that really have nopthign to do with your situation and are merely a manifestation of your continuuuing anxiety.  EWH