HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
White tongue Vs. Test Result

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

White tongue Vs. Test Result

Dear HHH or EWH ,
6 months ago i had protected sex with CSW in brothel . I worry about that after sex I took off the condom by usisng 2 or 3 napkin together and then I wiped tip of my penis using the back side of same napkins because there was some semen on the tip of my penis. I don't really remember when but probably 10-15 days after incident i realized swollen lymph node behind my ear , diarrhea and one night high fever . i really did not think it could be HIV because i didn't know about hiv symptoms.  2 months later my friends told me that i lost weight and then i decided to take a hiv test.
I took 2 HIV DUO Test at 8.5 week and 19 weeks   came back NEGATIVE .. i almost stopped thinking about hiv after  second test result but now my tongue is white especially at the back , and my throat is sore when i swallow. i am really scared that could be OHL or Thrush .

1-) is it possible that my test result can change after 19 weeks ? Should i take test again 6 months ?
2-) i have lost 7 lbs. but then i gained 18 lbs.  this is good indication that i am negative ? can someone with hiv gain that much weight after losing wieght ?
3-) i also see some white things lateral side of tongue  , is this could be a sign of OHL ?

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your question.

Even before I read the question itself, the title alone provides all I need for an accurate opinion and advice.  HIV test results always overrule any and all symptoms, exposure history, or any other factor in deciding whether or not someone has HIV -- as long as HIV testing is done sufficiently long after the last possible exposure.  And HIV is a far less common cause of a white coated tongue than many (hundreds!) other conditions, including minor viral infections, changes in diet, and others.

Now I have read the rest of the question.  First, you had a low risk exposure, since you used a condom. Other details of your exposure like those you mention (how you wiped afterward, for example) never make any significant difference in HIV risk.  Second, your symptoms are not at all suggestive of HIV, which would not cause a single localized enlarged lymph node or such brief diarrhea or fever.  And as noted above, white tongue is meaningless as a sign of HIV.  Finally, any and all existing HIV lab tests are 100% reliable beyond 6-8 weeks, and certainly at 19 weeks.  No testing is ever needed at 6 months after exposure.

Those comments answer question 1: You don't have HIV and it is impossible the result would change with future testing.  2) Your weight changes don't mean anything one way or the other.  3) OHL is a sign of advanced HIV (AIDS) and doesn't occur in the first weeks of a new HIV infection; and I've already discussed the coated tongue.

Here is another thread that goes into detail on the window periods associated with various types of HIV test:  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1704700

Bottom line:  If any symptoms continue that you are concerned about, see a doctor or clinic.  But stop worrying about HIV, do not have any more tests, and if you have a regular partner, feel free to continue unprotected sex with that person.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Dear HHH.
Thanks for your help . i want to say that my white tongue didnt  occured after in first weeks  , it occured after 5.5 month and i still have it . I Also have whiteness on lateral side of my tongue. its kind of similar to OHL picture i see on internet.
1-) Do you think it is still unrelated to HIV and 5.5. months is too early  for that?

Your test result proves that HIV is not the cause of your white tongue.  Stop worrying about HIV.