HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Worried about broken condom

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Worried about broken condom

Doc,
I am worried sick..and need advise. About 3 days ago I had a vaginal sex intercourse with a Rumanian prostitute in a brothel in Spain.
I was protected until the condom broke leaving the upper part of my penis exposed. She realised immediately and I got my penis out. The exposure must have lasted no more than 5 seconds.
She seemed to be very tight and not particularly wet. I examined my penis and no blood or heavy vaginal fluids appeared to be present on it.
Is 5  seconds vaginal exposure enough for the HIV virus to be transmitted? She appeard to be healthy altough skinny and with some tattoos. I did not check for marks in the arms. After the intercourse I forgot to ask her about here HIV status (sense of guilt already coming, so I left in a hurry)
For the past 3 days I have been dealing with a massive anxiety. I feel very weak, unable to concentrate, and not eating much. I have beena lso  having a white hairy tongue for the past 3 days. She also performed unproteced oral on me. Could any other STD like herpes have been passed on?  Is HIV testing recommandable in this case (I was negative a year ago).What are my chances?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Tags: penis, test
Relax.  Even if she had HIV, your risk of infection was zero if the business end of your penis remained covered.  Even unprotected sex, meaning intercourse continueing for several minutes, carries only 1 chance in 1000-2000 of HIV transmission.  The risk of herpes is slightly higher, because it can be transmitted by skin-to-skin contact.  Oral sex is low risk for all STDs, and almost zero risk for HIV.

All in all, the chance you acquired an STD, especially HIV, is too low to measure.  If you're going to be worried about HIV after this low a risk, I have to assume you have decided not to drive a car, fly in an airliner, or cross any busy streets.  All carry higher risks of killing you than the chance you caught HIV.  Therefore,  I do not recommend testing.  But if you want the reassurance of a negative test result, you could seek testing in a few weeks.

Truly you are not at significant risk.  Don't lose sleep over it.  Best wishes--

HHH, MD
Thanks Doc, however the whole  penis glans (glands)  ad urethral opening was unprotected during those 5 seconds (the condom broke entirely).
A white furry tongue can be the result of stress and axiety or
could it be an early  indication of a STD?

Thanks again.
Can a concurrent infection with hep B extend the window period for HIV?
Still virtually no risk of transmission given the brief exposure.  Furry tongue does not suggest HIV.

If both an HBV surface antigen test (HBsAg) and appropriate antibody tests are done, HBV infection generally can be detected by 4-6 weeks after exposure.  In general, HBV comes up more quickly than HIV.  But sexually active persons shouldn't take the chance and wait on testing for HBV after exposure.  The main defense is to be vaccinated.

HHH, MD
So my ten week negative hiv test wouldnt be affected by the fact I have also had a positive HBV antibody test in the same period?
No!  Nothing delays HIV seroconversion--another point made innumerable times in this forum.  (Search for "time to positive HIV test" and/or "HIV diagnosis".) Even the claims made for chemotherapy, advanced cancer, and similar things are based primarily on CYA warnings by the test manufacturers, not documented failures of people to develop positive tests on schedule.

It's time to stop searching for answers designed to confirm your worst fears.  This is my last response in this thread.

HHH, MD
Hi Doc,

it's me again. after exactly 6 weeks from the incident, I am
experiencing since yesterda,y a very high fever, muscle aching, kidney pain and inflamated laringe. The fever is currently reaching almost 40 degrees and  I can barely walk.
No other symptoms present (no lymp nodes or diarreha) I went for a blood analsys this morning which includes also HIV, Epathitis and several others infections. The results will be ready next week.
I am dead worried that I may be seroconverting now (6 weeks from the incident). Are these symptoms a good indicator? Please please advise. I have had a light fever for a week but only today it went up to 40 degrees.
Many thanks
i had a simmilar case to another member i was also haveing sex with a prostitude in colombia n my condom broke. i dont no wat part od the condome was broke it was only the head tho. I got another condom n continued. After 20 mins more i lef. She to look healthy but i am scared of haveing hiv.

Please write back
thank you
I know what you are going thru, I had similar experience. The condom broke while I was having sex with a sex worker. As I wait for the test date to arrive I am experiencing massive panick attacks.
I too am in same boat as never_learn very anxious about my results.
A related discussion, Does white furry tongue mean HIV? was started.
A related discussion, Broken Condoms was started.
A related discussion, broken condom was started.
A related discussion, Severe tension was started.
A related discussion, I Am A Sex Addict Who Needs Help was started.
A related discussion, worried. was started.
A related discussion, condom tore was started.