HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Worried about possible HIV transmission

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Worried about possible HIV transmission

Hello doctor, Recently I was very stupid and had brief unprotected vaginal intercourse with this guy I met on a site. I wanted to know what are the chances of me contracting HIV through this brief one off encounter and would it be advisable for me to take a HIV test?
Many thanks.
Welcome to our Forum..  I'll be pleased to provide some information.  The exposure you describe is not terribly high risk but it it not no risk either.  Further, your risk for other far more common STDs is far higher than your risk for HIV.  

Most heterosexual men do not have HIV and in the unlikely situation that your partner did, your risk for infection would be less than 1 infection per 1000 acts of unprotected intercourse- thus your overall risk is statistically quite low.  As mentioned above, your risk for other STDs is far higher.  It would be a good idea to be tested for these problems as a matter of personal safety, as well as to use condoms in the future.  As a matter of personal sexual health, we recommend that all persons who have new or multiple partners have tests for STDs, including HIV, at least once a year and more often if they feel it is warranted, even if there are no symptoms.

Finally, as an FYI, STDs, including HIV can be spread even if orgasm does not occur.

I hope these comments are helpful to you.  EWH
Thank you very much doctor for the information you provided. I found it very helpful.
I'm glad I could help. Take care. EWH