HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Worried after handjob with infection

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Worried after handjob with infection

Dear Doctors,

two months ago I received a handjob from a prostitute. She performed the handjob after massaging my back with baby oil. There was not other sexual contact (no penetrative sex, no oral sex). Three days after this event I suddenly started to feel a strong burning sensation while urinating, and I felt the need to urinate frequently. In fact, as soon as I had some urine in the bladder, it was hurting a lot. I did not have any discharge.
I went to a dermatologist, who took a swab and sent it to a lab for testing; all tests were negative. I then decided to have a PCR test for chlamydia, gonorrhea, and mycoplasma. Again, all these tests were negative. However the symptoms lasted for more than a month. The dermatologist also found a fungus on my glans (glands), which he cured in a few days with a cream.
From reading this forum I understand that handjobs are not normally at risk for HIV. However, the fact that I apparently got some kind of infection from the event worries me. Since the woman was naked, it is possible that she might have touched her vagina while performing the hand job.
Was this a risk event? Should I test for HIV? I am monogamous and this was my only potentially risky behaviour.
Thank you a lot for your help!
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

Thanks for reading other discussions for questions similar to yours.  As you may have seen, hand-genital contact isn't merely low risk for HIV -- it is zero risk.  There has never been an HIV infection suspected to have been transmitted by hand-genital contact, fingering, etc.  You won't be the first.  However, if you remain worried about it, just have an HIV test.  This advice doesn't mean I believe there is really some risk; I do not.  But many anxious people are more reassured by a negative test result than by expert advice alone.

As for HIV being more likely because you "got some kind of infection from the event", two comments.  First, even if you had acquired an infection, it would not make any difference about HIV risk.  Second and more important, I disagree with the premise -- i.e., I doubt you acquired any infection from the hand job. Your symptoms don't really fit well with any STD or any other infection.  Instead, they are typical for genitally focused anxiety.  That's why the various tests you had didn't find any infection:  you didn't have one.  Genitally focused anxiety symptoms result from pelvic muscle tension, much like a tension headache -- and are very common following a sexual exposure that causes regret, shame, guilt, or anxiety.  (However, the fungal infection of the glans (glands) is unrelated to any of this -- that part is not anxiety-related, but it also was not something you acquired from the massage parlor events.)

So my advice is to not worry at all about HIV or any other STD.  But feel free to have an HIV test if you will sleep better knowing you have had a negative result.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thanks for your response, and for your advice!