HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Worried man...
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Worried man...

Dear Doctor:

About ten years ago I had a one-time experience with a female sex worker in Madrid, Spain at a commercial sex club.  I used a condom and from what I could tell there was no breakage.  Thereafter, I grew very concerned about my potential exposure to HIV and consulted a doctor there about my risk.  The doctor with whom I consulted indicated that I posed virtually no risk.  At that time, he suggested that I go obtain an HIV test between 4-6 weeks from that date.  About 35 days later I took an HIV blood test and tested HIV-negative.  Thereafter I discussed the results with him and he assured me I was HIV negative.  

Then, about 6-7 years ago, I developed an infection in the mouth and tongue.  I grew immediately concerned after reading about the relationship between mouth infections and HIV online and consulted a doctor about it.  Although he didn't have a definitive diagnosis (as it had almost completely subsided by the time I saw him), he was not concerned and assured me that it was not related to HIV.  It cleared up on its own.

In the last couple of weeks, I have grown super concerned about whether the test I took almost 10 years ago was reliable and whether that mouth infection could have been HIV-related.  The doctor in Spain did not recommend a follow-up at 3 months or 6 months.  Would the doctor's advice have been valid almost 10 years ago?