HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Worried

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Worried

Dr.,

I had a low risk exposure with a heterosexual male, I am female. I had some minor symptoms after two weeks, such as swollen glands and a sore throat. At the 5 and 6 week mark, I took an at home Oraquick oral swab HIV test. They were negative. I know most of you consider 6 weeks basically conclusive, but since this is an at home test can I also consider this conclusive? Is this as reliable as the rapids I would receive at the local clinics/doctors?

Thanks,
Worried
Welcome to our Forum.  I'll be happy to comment.  Several comments are relevant to your question.

I presume that your recent sore throat and congestion contributed to your concerns about possible HIV.  The good news as well is that if your sore throat had been due to HIV, you test would have been positive in less than a week after your symptoms began.  Thus your negative test is strong evidence that you did not get HIV.

Further, I can assure you that the accuracy of the oral tests is the same as other types of tests.  When the oral tests were evaluated for approval by the FDA, they need to perform at a level similar to other types of tests.

Thus to summarize, given the low risk nature of your exposure and you negative test at six weeks afterwards, you can be confident that you did not get HIV.

I hope this comment is helpful.  EWH
Thank you so much for your answer! I understand that the oral tests are the same as blood, but my question is does the at home oraquick perform at the same level as the other rapids?

Thank you again Dr. EWH
Yes this test also has to pass the same criteria for approval as other rapid tests.  EWH
Dr.

I am sorry to bother you again. This really will be my last question. I developed a rash across my chest at 5 weeks post exposure. It looks like little pink bumps with no redness around them or itching.

Is 5 weeks too late for an ars rash to develop?
What does an ars rash typically look like?
Although the ARS can occur at any time between 2 and 6 weeks after exposure, an isolated rash, if not accompanied by high fever, sore throat, muscle aches, etc is not the ARS.  Your rash is more likely to be due to something else.  EWH
would a test turn positive in less than a week if the rash were due to ars?
Sometimes antibody tests are positive during the ARS but sometimes they are not.  Typically however, tests are positive at a week after the onset of the symptoms.   Again however, people with the ARS are SICK.  I would not worry.  EWH
Dr,

You said "Typically however, tests are positive at a week after the onset of the symptoms." but had previously said  "The good news as well is that if your sore throat had been due to HIV, you test would have been positive in less than a week after your symptoms began" wouldn't this be the same for the rash? if i tested 5 days after the onset of the rash would there be detectable antibodies?

Sorry for clarifying your response, I am just trying to be safe.

Thank you again for your advice and being so patient with me.
Yes, this is the same for any symptoms- rash, sore throat, others.  Also, FYI, in HIV the symptoms typically occur all at the same time.  EWH