HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Yeast infection that won't go away

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Yeast infection that won't go away

Hi Doctor,

I had a possible exposure to HIV 13 weeks ago. I am female and currently in a relationship with a lovely guy for 4 years.
I went out for my b'day to a male lap dancing club. I had a private dance as a laugh. I was very drunk at this point and the guy was trying his best to turn me on. He danced in between my legs and then it was all a blur and left and told my friend i want to go home now. i think i may of had sex. lasting about 10 seconds.
after this i contacted the guy on the internet he said he has not got aids and called me rotten for suggessted that. i went for chlymadya and gonnera 2 days after, they came back negative. now im so worried that i may of contracted the deadly virus.
I have had a yeast infection since that wont go away, i have used creams and pessaries but no joy. I have been to the doc who have precribed floxocillin which i am currently taking.
Can you tell me if i need testing or do you think i may be worrying about nothing. Thank you
If you had sex (not sure you did) and if he was infected (and he is almost certainly not, both from a statistical point and because he says he is not- few people lie about this), you chances of having gotten infected are between 1 in 1,000 and 1 in 2000.  Putting all of this together, I am confident that you did not get HIV.  As for your yeast infection, if you were examined by your health care provider and you had a yeast infection why did they put you on antibiotics and not treatment for yeast?  My guess is that you have a vaginal infection of some sort but it is not yeast (and is likewise, probably not an STD). I would urge you to talk more with your health care provider to seek clarity on this.  

Finally, returning to the HV test, if you are really concerned- get tested once- you will be negative and this will put an end to your concerns.  Personally, I don't think you need testing at all.  EWH
I had a smear done which shown up thrush. I told the doctor that i kept getting it and could not get rid of it. The doc also precribed a pessarie and cream to take. I am confused. Could you please tell me if a yeast infection could be a tell tale sign of HIV so early on?
Also he claims he does not have HIV but some people just don't know or don't get tested.
I am really freaked out as this constant itching and creamy discharge is driving me crazy. Could it be from stress. I also had a baby 7 months ago so I know i was negative for HIV then. I have had only 2 sexual partners. I am 25 from the UK.
Thanks you doctor. Also would a smear show up any STD?
Thrush is a yeat infection.  Persons with HIV get it but so do persons with diabetes and, most importantly, normal people.  In fact, only the tiniest fraction of all yeast infections occur in persons with HIV.  this is not somehting for you to worry about.  EWH
I have just tested Negative! I am so very happy. Thank you doctor!