HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
airport

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

airport

dear dr
i had an unfortunate exposure at the airport. the tour guide lady had my passport to photocopy it. she was looking at the other side and i took it by surprise from her. she moved her hands quickly and scratched me by her nail And her walki talki (radio) . is there a risk?
Your question suggests that you have a misconception about how HIV is transmitted.  In adults, HIV is transmitted ONLY through unprotected vaginal or ano-genital intercourse or introduction of HIV DEEP into tissue.  It is not spread by touching, by kissing, or by transfer from inanimate objects (including walkie talkies).  There is little chance that the person whose nail scratched you has HIV and, even if they did, there has never been a case of HIV transmitted by a scratch of the sort you describe.  There is no reason to worry about this scratch and no reason to seek testing.  EWH
thank you dr. very helpfull comment
I'm glad I could help. EWH