HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
anxiety

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

anxiety

On October 27, I received an oral from a Stripper in NYC. After been diagnosed with mono I did an Elisa Repid test (Dermatology Health Center in NYC) on March 10 (4 month after the incident) and It was negative. After that I was diagnosed with thyrode cancer. Today, a year later I developed a sore troath for over a month, I did my 6 mnth check up and I have 5 larger than usual lymph nodes on the neck, a canker soar and dry mouth.
My question is, is there any way that Rapid Elisa Test after 4 months was not conclusive. Do I need to repeat my test if my only partner has been my wife.

Welcome to the Forum.  I'll be happy to put your concerns to risk.  To start with, the exposure that you describe was no risk for HIV-you do not know that your partner had HIV (most people do not) and there has never been a case of HIV transmission documented to occur following receipt of oral sex.  Thus, your negative HIV test following this exposure was to be expected.  In addition, I should add that a rapid test performed 4 months after an exposure of any sort is totally reliable and should be believed.  There is no reason for you to be concerned that your prior test missed an HIV infection acquired through the exposure that you describe and no reason for further testing.

I hope this comment is helpful to you. EWH
Sorry to ask you one more question, no matter how many symptoms I have related with HIV you answer would not change? And even with thyrode cancer or mono I would not be immuno suppress after 4 month exposure?
Symptoms are a poor indicator of the presence or absence of HIV and should not be relied upon.  Testing on the other hand is highly reliable and should be believed.  Your thyroid cancer does not change my advice. EWH
thanks for your help, i would take your reccomendation and never do that mistake again
thanks again
Dr. Hook, one more question. Do the symptoms I mentioned before can start apearing a year after infction? And do enlarged lymph nodes on the neck (only) could be related to that?
thanks
No, symptoms of early HIV do not occur a year after infection.  You really need to relax. EWH
thanks, then you would have not even warranted a test for that kind of exposure?
I just called the center and they told me the test I did was a 3rd generation test because is a 30 min result;s one, even with that, is that test 100% conclusive at 4 months
Nothing more to say.  I would not have recommended a test for you in the situation you described.  This will end this thread. EWH