HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
blood explosure

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

blood explosure

Dear Sir,

I am a 29 years old man from China. I have a question. Recently I felt my neck wreched, So I went to a clinic. The doctor use a equitment to encase my neck and my lower chin, when he made physical therapy for me. By now everything is normal. It took about ten minutes to make therapy. But when he remove the equitment, I found some blood on the surface which contacted my skin, the blood was also a little wet. There was some small cut in my nect and lower chin. Before I went out to the hospital, I shaved myself. Because I was hurried, So I made some small cut carelessly. About half an hour later, I use the equipment. The equipment attached to my skin tightly.I was worried about it. If the blood was from infected guy, Am I in a risk?  The doctor removed it from a guy before me ,and used it on me directly.Can I also have unprotected intercourse with my wife?  
Welcome to the forum.

When some people (perhaps especially those with underlying anxieties) learn that HIV is a blood borne infection, they assume that any contact with blood carries a risk of transmission.  That's wrong.  Blood or other infected fluids have to have exposure to certain body cells or tissue, and the amount of blood or fluids typically must be quite large.  That's why sex or the overt exchange of blood -- as with contaminated injection equipment, or from mother to baby in the uterus -- are the main ways HIV is transmitted.  Supercial contact of the sort you are worried about has never been known to result in HIV transmission.  Nobody in the world has ever been known to catch HIV from exposure to blood in the environment.

In addition, HIV remains pretty rare in China -- a very tiny proportion of your country's population carries the virus.  So the chance is very low that a previous patient's blood contained HIV. But even if it was, there was no risk to you from this sort of event.  You do not need testing and can safely continue unprotected sex with your wife.

I hope this has been helpful.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you. And there was some blood left in my lower chin. I found a toilet three minutes later,and washed it off immediately. Does it make any differences? Still no risks?
If there is no risk, it doesn't matter how quickly you washed it off.

Life is full of serious worries.  This should not be one of them.  Move on.