HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
blood

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

blood
dear doctr
i am in frankfurt on a business trip . i met an iranian guy who lives in germany and during the meeting he scratcged a scar that was healed before and started bleeding. when we finished the meeting i tried to not shake his hands but it was tuff not to. i have hair line cracks around my fingers and some scratches. my finger nails always bleed . what do you recommend tgat i do now. dorry for the long post. i am a father of 4 and i have a responsibility .
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

You should not be at all worried about this.  Nobody in the world ever caught HIV from the sort of exposure you describe.  If HIV could be transmitted in this way, it would be 100 time more common and would not be classified as a sexual and blood-borne disease.  Even if your Iranian colleague has HIV, there was no risk of infection; and the rate of HIV in Iran is exceedingly low, so the chance he is infected is very, very low.  I recommend you do nothing at all, except believe my advice and stop worrying.  Do not get tested, and do not hesitate to continue unprotected sexual relations with your wife or other regular partner.

I hope this has helped calm your fears.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD