HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
bra strap

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

bra strap

Dear Doctor,

I have been tested last year and havent been sexually active for a year and a half. I recently went out with a friend as we were kissing I tried to take off her bra but my finger accidentally hit or poked the metal strap so I failed to remove it. It hurt under the nail of my finger since I just cut my nails to short. It didnt seem to bleed I hope but the skin under the nail seems raw and a little pain. she kissed my finger and slightly sucked it the next day when I told her. no sex just kissing

1) Im so afraid do I have any risks for hiv std? from the poke on the finger under the nail that seem aliitle sore how about the kiss
2) DO i have to be tested again I have been in a committed relationship
Welcome to our forum.  You seem to have a misunderstanding of how HIV is transmitted.  HIV is transmitted from adult to adult ONLY through unprotected genital or ano-genital sexual contact or through injection of infected material deep into tissue.  There has never been a case of HIV transmitted between persons by kissing of any sort including deep kissing,  
There is no risk to you from her having kissed your finger even with the sore on your finger- no risk.

Further, I should add that there is little chance that she has HIV at all unless there is somthing that you have not said.  

You have no reason for concern and no reason for testing related to this exposure.  EWH
thank you doctor so even if i poked my finger with the metal of the bra strap
no need to worry? that caused it to be sore and have a small wound i can continue to have un protected sex with my girl friend
Correct, even if you cut your finger on her bra strap, there is no risk for infection.  EWH