HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
can you have hiv symptoms within 2 days after receiving oral
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

can you have hiv symptoms within 2 days after receiving oral

I had unprotected oral sex from a guy ( I was the receiver). He did say he had got himself tested recently before meeting me and negative to all STD's and HIV. However, the next day i felt a slight pain in the right neck and then the next day had a slight sore throat that didnt affect me while i ate. today is day 4 and i have a slight sinus pressure around right eye and ear. Im very scared, i know recieving oral and aqcuiring hiv is rear, but could i have got it somehow. Please advice.
Related Discussions
239123_tn?1267651214
Thank you for re-posting your question in the correct forum.

First, just in reply to the question as you ask in the title, before I read anything else:  No.  Not possible.

Now I have read the rest.  Your symptoms cannot be due to HIV or any other infection from that sexual encounter.  They don't sound at all like HIV anyway, or any other STD.  (You might have caught a cold from your partner, though.)  Further, receiving oral sex is very low risk for HIV.  I can't tell from your question whether you are male or female.  To my knowledge acquiring HIV by receiving cunnilingus has never been reported to occur; and the estimated risk by receiving fellatio is around 1 chance for every 20,000 exposures.   And on top of all that, most people don't lie about their HIV status when asked directly, especially when asked outside the immediate sexual situaion.  So you can be very sure your partner doesn't have HIV.

Of course see a health care provider if your symptoms persist.  But it isn't HIV.  You don't even need HIV testing on account of this event.

Best wishes---  HHH, MD
2 Comments
Blank
Thank you for your reply. I am male just to clarify.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
300980_tn?1194933000
Edward W Hook, MDBlank
University of Alabama at Birmingham
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank