HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
cankers sores and hiv

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

cankers sores and hiv

I had an unprotected one night stand with a woman back in june and just this last month i have had 3 canker sores on different occasions in my mouth.  Ive had these before, but never usually once a year at most...and i dont think ive had one for maybe 2 years.  Anyway, im wondering if this increase in sores could be due to a possible hiv infection?  would sores like this start to show up around 3 months after being with someone?  I was tested last year for everything and came back negative and this is the only person ive been with since. I saw my dentist who said it was normal, but then i started to read online and saw it was related to HIV and have been freaking out since.  Could you please shine some light on this subject.

thanks
Apthous stomatitis (canker sores) probably can occur with increased frequency in HIV infected persons, but generally as a late manifestation of AIDS, not a sign of ARS.  In either case, canker sores probably never could be the only evidence of HIV.  The timing of the apparent increase in frequency undoubtedly is merely a coincidence with the sexual exposure you describe.  Anyway, presumably "everything" you were tested for included HIV, with a negative result.  If not, perhaps you need HIV testing just so the negative result will settle your nerves.  Otherwise, forget it.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
thanks for the quick reply.  would 3 months later still be considered ars?  I was under the impression that it was  2-3 weeks after infection.  sorry, im just a little confused:)
You are correct, 2-3 weeks is generally the time ARS symptoms would occur...NOT 3 MONTHS.  But, as the Dr. stated, your symptoms are not indicative of ARS, and are never never never a reliable factor for HIV infection.  I would assume the increase in frequency of these canker sores could be due to stress; not that stress causes canker sores, but that stress weakens the immune system leaving your body susceptible to ailments (like canker sores!).

Also, the Dr. has stated previously that when ARS happens, it almost always includes a fever/flu like symptoms.  Just FYI.  

The only way to be sure is to be tested.  Don't be frightened either, HIV is not what is used to be.  It's not the virus most are afraid of, it's the social stigma.  Would you be afraid of being diagnosed with Diabetes, something (in my opinion) would be worse than HIV?  "There are 20.8 million children and adults in the United States, or 7% of the population, who have diabetes. While an estimated 14.6 million have been diagnosed, unfortunately, 6.2 million people (or nearly one-third) are unaware that they have the disease."  source: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-statistics.jsp
what percentage of HIV infected people get ARS?