HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
chances of getting hiv infection if condom splits

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

I had a vaginal intercourse with a prostitute in south asia , i used a condom but during the sex it split and i continued for 2 mins  before removing my penis
what are the chances of getting HIV virus or other diseases if the girl was HIV +  , should i get tested for HIV and other diseases
The risk of HIV transmission to a male for any particular episode of unprotected vaginal sex averages 1 chance in 2,000, if the female has HIV.  Logically the risk is lower the briefer the exposure, but there are no data to estimate how much lower.  So if you assume a 5% chance your partner had HIV, your risk of having caught it should be no more than 0.05 x 0.0005 = 0.0000025, or 1 chance in 40,000.  If those odds are too high for you to live with, have an HIV test.  Anyway, every sexually active person ought to have an HIV test once a year or so.  So if you haven't been tested recently, this would be a good time, since it's on your mind.

I don't suggest any other STD testing unless you get symptoms like sores or discharge from the penis.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Dr.H

If I had the power, I'd reserve lake front property for you in heaven.

Thank you for what you do. Thank you for your good key board manners.

Thank you, thank you
Sorry to bother you again
I just had this episode once and I am pretty sure that my regular partner is HIV negetive

In your comments you stated that there is negligible chance of getting infected do you still suggest that i should get tested

you also mentioned in one of the answers that you haven't seen cases of HIV infection  due to unprotected vignal sex once
is this true ????

I do not tell people whether or not to be tested. I told you my assessment of the situation. Re-read my reply and make your own decision.

Yes, I have seen cases of HIV transmission by vaginal sex, but only in my research patients in Africa or, in the US, among people who were the regular partners of infected persons--usually the wife of someone with HIV. I have never personally seen a case of someone who acquried HIV after a single exposure of the sort typically described by anxious people on this forum. (I never even HEARD of such a case from my colleagues.) That doesn't mean it can't happen, but it is rare.
I had a similar experience about 2 weeks ago while visiting Costa Rica.  The condom broke, and I didn't notice for anywhere between 15 seconds and 2 minutes.  When I got back to the States a few days later, I got sick (flu-like) followed by the worst outbreak of herpes that I have had in many years (maybe the stress?).

Anyway, I am so glad to have found your site -- at least I have a little relief now, but I am still concerned.

I have 2 questions that may be helpful for me as well as the other readers of this forum:

1)  Are there any data that suggest that HIV exposure may trigger an outbreak of herpes?

2) Given that exposure is so low for this type of sexual activity, AND the fact that condoms break so often, would it not be better to use natural skin condoms instead of latex -- even though studies suggest that the HIV may pass through the membrane of the natural skin?

A related discussion, How long should i wait to get a Hiv test was started.
A related discussion, Hiv Concern was started.
A related discussion, oral sex was started.
A related discussion, hpv was started.