HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
condom broken in a swingerclub

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

condom broken in a swingerclub

Hello sorry english is not my first language.

Yesterday night I had a sexual intercourse with a girl in a swinger club in Spain, I realized the condom was broken after I had the orgasm.. The intercourse lasted for about 15 minutes I would say. I didn't realized the moment of the rupture. The girl had been swearing she didn't have any disease... Should I take some profilaxis like gamma globuline or something for HIV risk?? I guess the risk is not big.. I would like not to go through side effects of taking medication.. but anyways.. Please hurry in answering I know if something needs to be taken is during the first hours after exposition..

Thanks a lot,
A.
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

You had a brief but accurate reply on the community forum:  in my opinion, this exposure was even too low risk to even need HIV testing, and certainly you should not seek post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP).  You really needn't be worried about HIV.  The risk for other STDs is higher, although still probably low.

Heterosexually transmitted HIV is rare in most western European countries, including Spain.  Regardless of being a swinger, the chance your partner has HIV is low.  But you could eliminate any uncertainty about it by speaking with her.  If she has been tested recently for HIV, or agrees to new testing now (and is HIV negative), you can stop worrying entirely.

Even if we assume she had HIV, your risk was low.  For unprotected vaginal sex, the average transmission risk to the male partner, if the woman is infected, is around once for every 2,000 exposure.  (You may not know that many partners of HIV infected persons have unprotected sex for years without becoming infected themselves.)

There are no medications other than actual anti-viral drugs for PEP that prevent HIV infection.  Gamma globulin has no known benefit.  But based on the combination of the low chance your partner has HIV, and the low transmission risk if she did, the odds you caught HIV are under 1 in a million.

As I noted, you could be at somewhat higher risk of other STDs.  Here too, I suggest you speak with your partner; perhaps the two of you might want to visit a clinic together for testing for gonorrhea, chlamydia, and syphilis; your can get tested yourself, whether or not your partner does as well.  And of course you can always be tested for HIV, despite the low risk.  FYI, urine testing for gonorrhea and chlamydia is accurate any time more than 3-4 days after exposure; syphilis and HIV testing need to be delayed to 6-8 weeks.

I hope this has helped.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD