HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
do i have HIV?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

do i have HIV?

Hi Doctors,

Please see the post I made almost 14 months ago on the community forum about my exposure (I'll copy and paste it below)

I had a very tough bout with the fear of HIV over this encounter. I wound up testing negative via oraquick fingerprick rapid test 36 days after the exposure. This seemed to calm me down for a while.

That last winter I had a couple of spontaneous nosebleeds which freaked me out and I couldn't help but associate that with HIV.

Now since the fall I had seen myself coughing up alot of yellow phlegm and this would be followed by another one of those "spontaneous" nosebleeds. I visited the doctor and he prescribed me an antibiotic which made that go away...Until two days ago when I noticed that I had yellow phlegm again. Coincidentally, two days later I had a nosebleed! Do you think that this could be HIV related?

besides the one encounter in the community forum, I have only had two sexual partners - both female. Condoms were used most of the time with the females, and I used a condom in the encounter with the transvestite.

So Is there any chance I have HIV? Could I rely on my previous test result?

Thanks.
I'm sorry you continue to worry about this exposure in the far distant past.  Your condom protected exposure made the exposures no risk events, thus you really had no reason to even test relating to your transvestism exposure.  As a result, while you're five week test was not technically at the eight week time when HIV tests are definitive, your results strongly reinforce the no risk nature of the event.

Your respiratory tract infection bears no relationship to the exposure you are concerned about.  I would not worry however if your fears mean you must test again, then do so and be prepared to believe the negative test results I am confident you will get. EWH
"Hi all,

this past weekend I made the worst decision of my life and had a sexual encounter with a transgender prostitute. A condom was used from start to finish (i did not even cum from the encounter because I got very nervous when I realized what a stupid decision I made) - and she even put a condom on herself even though I did not really touch that area.

I performed anal sex on her while wearing a condom along with a waterbased lubricant, and I know the condom did not break.

when I left, I left with the condom on and after removing it, I am afraid that anything bad may have gotten on my boxers, jeans, or hands which then could have been exposed to my penis or mouth.

I am still so nervous about acquiring a STD, and I am suffering from anxiety attacks as this is basically the only thing I can think about 24/7. I have been suffering from massive headaches and becoming sick to my stomach where I've lost my appetite. - I believe this is due to me stressing out over this but I am still extremely nervous.

I know I have to wait to get tested to be absolutely sure, but am I at a high risk for acquiring this disease?"
Thanks for the advice doctor.

What has particularly concerned me is that the infection went away from the use of a strong antibiotic (i forget which it was- i was first prescribed Zpak which didn't work, the second antibiotic did) and now it has returned.

The rationale behind my fear is that my immune system is not capable of fighting off this infection. Both times I went to the doctor he listened to my chest and said it sounded normal. If i truly had an opportunistic infection like pneumonia that wouldn't be the case, right?

Again, I repeat, you should not worry.  If your infections were opportunistic infections your doctor would have noticed.  EWH