HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
hEPATITIS

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

hEPATITIS

Hello Dr HHH or Dr Edward,

How are you? I would like to say thank you in advance.

I was in the party last night and I’m so drunk together with my roommate. My friend and I went to bathroom and urinate. My Friend forgot to wash his hand and ask me to smoke cigarette at the lobby of the club.  Stupid me that I smoke the cigarette that he gave. After the party we ate in our room my friend arranges the morning food for both of us.  Louganisa it’s a Filipino food. I noticed that my plate had a dark liquid water (no idea) I removed the dark water used my left hand and I ate..After our meal I brush my teeth but unfortunately my gums bleed that time. I washed the toothbrush with the running water from the faucet. I have a hobby to clean my nose with my finger and I read in hepatitis c community that if your hand have a blood the transmission will be possible.

1. If my roommate forgot to wash his hand after urinating and touched the cigarette. Do you think there’s a possibility of Hepatitis Transmission or HIV?
2. If I ate the dark liquid water (blood or ****) do you think im in risk for hepatitis or hiv?
3. My toothbrush mixed up with the toothbrush of my roommate? Do you think that I’m in risk of hepatitis or hiv if my roommate is hepatitis positive or hiv positive?
4. I have a hobby to clean my nose with my finger and I read in hepatitis c community that if your hand have a blood the transmission will be possible.

Welcome to the forum.

HIV and viral hepatitis (all types) require much more intimate exposure for transmission to occur.  For infection to take hold, lots of virus -- not just a small amount -- must be deposited inside the body or into the blood stream.  Although there might be a theoretical risk that expousre like you had could rarely transmit one of these viruses, the chance is lower than the odds you'll be hit by a meteorite someday.  In other words, this isn't something you should be worried about at all.

Just so there is no confustion, the asnwers to your specific questions are:

1) No risk.

2) The chance there was human blood on your plate seems extremely low; and even if that's what it was, there would be little or no risk of HIV or hepatitis.

3) Sharing toothbrushes is one of those theoretical risks that actually is very low, if any risk at all.

4) Think about this.  You might have someone's blood on your hands when you pick your nose?  How would that happen?  How likely is it?  This also isn't anything to worry about.

Concerns like yours often continue despite reassurance from experts.  But I'm going to request you not post any "what if" or "did you really understand what I meant" sorts of questions.  There is nothing you can add that would change my opinion or advice.   You are not at risk of any of these infections from the exposures described and do not need testing for them.

Regards--  HHH, MD

Regards--  HHH, MD
Dr HHH

Thank you very much for informative answer but there's a little remaining question bothering me..

For the question 2. You didn't mentioned the faces or **** in the plate. In the worst case scenario if theirs a **** in that plate...Do you think im in risk of hepatitis or hiv?
I'm not sure what word was bleeped by MedHelp's software.  But the same answer for blood applies to any and all body secretions.  How would that happen anyway?

Your continued worry about this is very irrational.  People with normal thought processes don't think like this and unreasonable fear of contagion can be an early sign of serious mental health disability; you should consider professsional mental health care.  I suggest it from compassion, not criticism.  But this forum isn't an appropriate substitute for that, so no more comments or questions will be deleted without reply.  Good luck.