HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
hiv dna test

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

hiv dna test

hello, I was on the receiving end of a sexual relation and performed oral sex on an transgender escort.  All of the relations were done with protection.. I am pretty sure she/he orgasmed but condom was still on and appeared intact.  My question is, is their an hiv test that can be done before the 3 month period to rule out hiv.  I read online last night that the dna test can be perfromed at around 7 days and be pretty conclusive.  I was wondering if you guys knew anything about this test or if there was any other better tests.  As well as, if i am just wasting my money.. I am not proud of my actions at all and dont want to spend the next 3 months thinkng about it..Thks, we did kiss a little.. I appreciate everything you guys do here
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

My main advice is that you focus your thinking so that you don't conflate a sexual experience causing guilt or anxiety and the HIV or other STD risks that may have resulted.  The aren't the same.  Deal with the former as you need to, but there simply are no disease/infection risks from the event you have described.  Even without a condom, I would advise you were at no meaningful risk -- for the reasons detailed in the thread linked below.  With a condom, there is no chance of having caught HIV and no testing is necessary.  If I were in your situation, I would not get tested and would continue unprotected sex with my wife without the least concern I could infect her with HIV or any STD on account of that event.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1922236

That said, I'm not you.  If you decide to be tested, I would advise against a DNA test.  Such tests are quite reliable at 7+ days after exposure, but not perfect; you would still need an HIV antibody test at the one month mark to have a definitive result.  You can get the same definitive reassurance with a duo test (for both HIV antibody and p24 antigen) 4 weeks after exposure; or a stand-alone antibody blood test at 6-8 weeks.  Here is a second thread that goes into detail about test reliability at various intervals after exposure.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1704700

I hope this information has been helpful.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
just to make sure, did u understand that i was on the receiving end of anal intercourse..plus oral sex.. both being with protection.. Just wanted to clarify, thats what i meant by being on the receiving end..
thks
No, I didn't understand that anal sex was involved. "Being on the receiving end" generlaly doesn't imply a specific anatomic site of exposure.

Still, I don't recommend testing.  In theory, the risk is higher, but only if the condom had failed.  So this doesn't change my bottom line (no pun intended!) advice.
ha, yes, "being on the receiving end" is definitely not a medical term and more sexual lingo..as well as the bottom line:).. thks for your advice and humor on the subject.. not a laughing matter but cant change your actions post event..by the way, no wife in the mix but if i did i would be more manic than i am:).. thks again.  lucky to have educated people to talk to about our idiotic events being an human...