HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
hiv expert or not?
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

hiv expert or not?

Hi - I recently went to an infectious diseases doctor in a line of many doctors I'm currently going to because of neurological and muskuloskletal symptoms going on.  I had an unprotected anal experience with a guy a year ago and have not been sexually active since.  I got tested the following time periods:

after 3 months:  HIV:  negative
after 5 months:  HEP C:  Indeterminate
after 6 months:  HEP C:  Indeterminate
                        HIV:  negative
                        HEP C (RNA):  negative
                        HEP B:  negative

the infectious disease dr. does not suspect infection causing my symptoms.  I haven't had any fevers (minus a cold in the winter) and minus a two week period (3 weeks after the incident) where my body felt like it was warming up + dark urine.  This 2 week period was what got me scared of having anything in the first place.  

I am suspecting an infection of sorts mainly because Lyme seems to match most of my symptoms - the latest one being mild joint stiffness in my knees along with now red bumps forming on my knees and up my thighs (not prominent, but noticeable).  MY QUESTION:  The infectious diseases dr. said that his main expertise was HIV.  I told him about everything I've told you and he said he didn't suspect HIV, but that "75% of people with HIV don't show infected until 9 months."  This got me kind of scared.  but I've noticed you said that 3 months is generally the max nowadays.  Are we talking about the antibody tests?  Also, if by chance I had an autoimmune disorder (a possibility), would my autoimmunity disrupt any testing for STDs?  would they take longer to show up?

I was just wondering why an "HIV expert" would say something different than yourself, being an expert too.  Is there disagreement in the field or have I simply just gone to an uninformed doctor?  

Thanks