HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
hiv from towel

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

hiv from towel

I had masturbation with a hiv positive guy. He ejaculate on a towel, and I finished after 30 seconds to 1 minute of  it. The problem is that I wiped my penis with the same towel and  his semen fell on the head of my penis and foreskin. I went to the shower after 5-6 hours. Could fresh sperm from my partner who is hiv positive if got on my urethra infect me with HIV? I would be very grateful for the advice.

also my friend was wearing braces and he kiss me on check and neck and i m worried if he cut me with his braces?
Welcome to the forum.  Responding to the title you chose for your question, before I read anything else:  it is probably that nobody in the world ever caught HIV by contact with a contaminated towel.  I doubt you are at risk.

Now I have read the question.  Congratulations for sticking with safe sex with a known infected partner.   You had an entirely safe sexual experience.  In addition to my comment above, I will point out that the household members of HIV infected persons never become infected (assuming they aren't also sex or needle-sharing partners) despite years of sharing bathrooms, towels, kitchens, eating utensils, and the like.  Your situation is obviously different, since your partner apparently is known to have HIV; and I can imagine a theoretical scenario in which semen on a towel could be massaged into one's own urethral opening. But there is no risk at all through contact with intact skin of the penis (or any other body part).  As for kissing, that has never been known to transmit HIV, regardless of gum imflammation, sores in the mouth, etc.

As another potential point of reassurance, you could speak with your partner about whether he is on treatment for his HIV infection, and his viral load (the concentration of HIV in his blood).  People on treatment with low viral loads don't transmit the infection even with entirely unprotected sex.

Bottom line:  no risk, no need for testing, and if you have a regular partner, you can safely continue unprotected sex with no chance of transmitting HIV.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Definitely I wiped towel on my urethra and penis

Now I don't know whether urethra is intact skin or not?

It's just that we both wiped our semen from the same towel with a minutes gap..

Now can his semen travel down my urethra and cause infection ?
I m just worried by theoritcal risk you referred in your answer..
Is it practically possible for his semen to enter my urethra and cause infection?
IF semen entered your urethra, then there might have been some risk.  But nobody ever was known to have acquired HIV from events like this. Every person with diagnosed HIV infection (acquired sexually) has had insertive vaginal, anal, or (very rarely) oral sex.  You aren't likely to be the world's first exception!

If you remain concerned, I would advise you to re-read my comment above about speaking with your partner about his HIV status and treatment.  And of course you are free to get tested for HIV if you remain concerned despite this common-sense, science-based reassurance.

There's really nothing more I can say.  Let's not get into a string of "what if" questions; there is nothing you can think of that would change my opinion or advice.