HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
hiv transmission risk?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

hiv transmission risk?

Hi, I am a 27 year-old male, currently living in Seoul, South Korea.  Two days ago, after a night of drinking, I made the foolish decision to vist the red-light district.  I received unprotected oral sex, followed by 3-5 minutes of protected intercourse, which ended because I couldn't maintain an erection.  This was followed by the resumption of unprotected oral sex until I ejaculated.  The next day I seriously regretted my decision because I have been in a monogamous relationship for 5 years.  Since I used protection I initially wasn't worried about HIV until I realized that I had an ingrown hair on my scrotum that I had been squeezing (a small amount of blood and clear fluid came out of the ingrown hair) the day before my encounter with the prostitue, and it was sore and red.  It was sore and red before the encounter, not after.  In the past couple of days it has gotten better and I have no symptoms of any other STDs.  What is my risk factor for being infected with HIV from vaginal secretions contacting my ingrown hair?  I don't know what to do because I do not want to jeopardize my relationship, and I don't know how I could explain to my girlfriend why I won't have sex, since I have to wait 3 months to get an accurate HIV diagnosis.  The guilt and remorse I am feeling is overwhelming.    Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you
Or course there are no data on whether the risk of oral sex is any greater with or without a pimple or ingrown hair on the scrotum.  But common sense says it makes no difference.  The risk of catching HIV by receiving fellatio is so low that you can consider it to be zero.  Given the billions of oral sex events, even if only a few of those occurred in people with pimples and other genital area sores, that still means millions of people had such exposure--and none of them caught HIV.

So if this is your only potential HIV/STD risk, I see no reason for HIV testing and no reason not to continue having sex with your girlfriend.  Of course get tested if you don't find my advice suffciently reassuring.  You don't need to wait 3 months; 6 weeks is fine. (Use the search link for innumerable discussions of 'time to positive HIV test' in low-risk situations like yours.)

Good luck--  HHH, MD
On the forum page it says that there has been 1 response to my question by HHH, however when I click on my link I don't see the response, I only see my question.  All of the other links seem to work fine.

My concern wasn't the oral sex, rather it was the brief protected vaginal sex I am concerned about, and possible vaginal secretions on my ingrown hair.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my response.  I meant to say that having a pimple or other lesion on the scrotum also does not increase the risk of catching HIV from vaginal secretions.  HIV is much harder to transmit than that.