HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
i think i had infected my girl friend

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

i think i had infected my girl friend

Hi..i feel very guilty now..i dont know what to do..
On 3 november last year, i had gone to a massage palor..i received:
1. Body massage
2. Handjob
While the session, i also inserted my finger in her vagina and fingering inside her for about 30 minutes.after fingering her, i realised that my skin at the top of my finger( near the fingernail) had peeled back and i can see the red layer under the peeled back skin. I am very sure that the skin on my finger had peeled back WHILE i fingered inside her vagina. I know that you guys will tell me that that is not a risk. But...i had experiencing symptoms:
1. 3 days - i had fever and headache. The head ache was like i'm having migrain and it lasted for about 1 week.
2. 5 day- dark and black spots That look like moles appeared on the back side of both of my arms.
3. 11 day- i had swollen gland on the right side of the neck. Gone to see the doctor and he said that my lymphnode swollen.
4. 18 day- rashes appeared on my arms, chest, stomach and leg. They dissapeared after i applied some aloevera helly but they come back after that.the lympnode still swollen and some new swollen.
5. I also feel muscle ache on my arms and legs.
6. Feel very tired.
7. Always feel sleepy and burning sensation at the eyes.
After a couple of weeks, the symptoms gone but tiredness in the eyes still there and untill now. Sonetimes i also feel tired especially when i'm driving.

What make me felt very nervous is..on 27 january 2013, i had unprotected sex with my gf.on the next day, she had stomachache and diarrhea. I also noticed that black spot like moles also appeared on her arms. 2 weeks after that, she had sore throat, fever, muscleache all over the body,feel very tired and fatigue.yesterday, i realised that she also have some rashes on her arms. She also said that her eyes feel very tired.
This had make me feel very nervous and guilty.
For your information, i'm from malaysia and the masseuse that i fingered was a thai.
Welcome to the forum.  However, you won't hear anything that you were not also told in the community forum.

It is statistically unlikely your partner had HIV.  But even if she was, you had an exposure that could not have resulted in an HIV infection.  HIV is never transmitted by fingering or other hand-genital contact.

The symptoms of HIV are identical to those of many other medical conditions that are far more common than ARS.  Even if you had typical ARS symptoms (you do not), they would not be helpful in judging whether or not you have HIV.  In addition, ARS cannot start to cause symptoms only 3 days after exposure.  Seven days is the minimum, and usually its 10-20 days.  On top of all that, your symptoms are not even typical for ARS.  As for your girlfriend's symptoms, ARS doesn't cause diarrhea as the main symptom -- and starting one day later, ARS is impossible.

Based on all the information you have provided, there is no chance you caught HIV, or that you transmitted HIV to your girlfriend.  From the standpoints of risk and symptoms, you don't even need HIV testing.  However, I still recommend you be tested for reassurance.  The negative test result probably will be more reassuring than anything I can say.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Tq doc for the quick response..my gf's diarrhea is not my total concern..what worries me is the fever, sore throat and rashes that she had..it is exactly 2 weeks after exposure..starting with sore throat, then fever, then rashes. The rashes is still there until now but the fever and sore throat had fade away..
You could not have caught HIV from the events described.  And in any case, your partner's diarrhea is only one minor reason, among many others, that neither your symptoms nor hers are due to HIV from the fingering event.  If you symptoms continue, see a doctor; and have an HIV test.  However, until then there is simply no point in speculating and I won't play that game.  Report the results of your HIV test and/or the outcome of your visit to a doctor.  Until then I will have no other comments or advice.
Dr HHH
sorry to bother u again..
Can u explain to me..why hiv cannot be transmitted in fingering situation which the finger have fresh peeled back skin on the top of the fingernail?
I think the friction of my finger and the vafina caused the peeled back skin because i can feel that she was very dry.
The biological reasons are unimportant. The fact is that nobody in the world has ever had an HIV infection that was believed to have been acquired by fingering.

Move on.  Unlike your community forum threads, there will not be a long string of "yes but" or "what if" messages.  You came here for reassurance.  I gave it.  Accept it or not, I don't care -- but this isn't a debate and I will have nothing more to dsay.
I got tested today..it was NEGETIVE :)))
Of course it was.  But congratulations!