HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
is a light stool an indicator of HIV?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

is a light stool an indicator of HIV?

I have never had unprotected vaginal sex with a partner who was not tested, and I do not use intravenous drugs, but recently I've been making lighter stools (not yellow light, kind of just like the color of baby poop...with a yellow-green tinge, and softer)  I asked my mom about it and she says that it happens to her too, and that it's normal, but she's not a doctor.  I usually have very hard brown stools, and now they're suddenly softer and lighter.  I have no other weird symptoms, but I looked online and it said it could be a symptom of AIDS or Hepatitis.  I don't know how I would have contracted either!  What do you think this is actually an indicator of?
I agree with your mother.  You do not engage in behaviors which put you at risk for STD or HIV and light colored stools are not a sign of HIV.  If you feel fine, there is probably nothing to worry about.  If you feel poorly or the problem persists, you might see your health care provider.  Hepatitis could cause this (hepatitis is not only an STD - you could have gotten it from something you ate), as could VERY many other things.  HIV or STDs however are not your concern.  EWH