HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
my exposure?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

my exposure?

Hello!

I had protected vaginal and unprotected oral sex (I was receiver) with a prostitute in Miami while on vacation around two weeks ago.  My penis had a few small cuts after the incident and after we finished I noticed some warts around her mouth. I sort of panicked after the incident when a colleague told me that many of the prostitutes in the area where I was are HIV positive. Over the past week, I have spent a lot of time online, and have been quite nervous. I have recently developed some symptoms of ARS (rash, fatigue, sore throat, dizziness, and maybe swollen nodes but its hard for me to tell), but I have not yet had a fever.

Is my concern rational? Am I potentially at risk?  If so,how large?
This forum is strictly limited to people with established HIV infection, seeking advice about treatment, preventing transmission to their partners, or other AIDS related health problems.  For a doctor's reply to this question, you'll have to re-post it on the HIV Prevention and Safe Sex Forum.  This thread will be deleted.
Welcome to the forum.  thanks for your question.

Oral to penile HIV transmission is rare, if it occurs at all.  One estimate (by CDC) is that on average, if the oral partner has HIV, there is 1 chance in 20,000 by contact with another persons's penis. That's equivanet to receovong b-js by infected partners once daily for 55 years before transmission might occur

Your symptoms don't mean anything.  The idential ones occur with a hundred different medical conditions.  Most likely you caught a garden-variety, minor virus.  All by itself, absence of fever was strong evidence against HIV.

Since you're nervous, have an HIV test.  You can expect it to be negative.  In the meantime, stay mellow.  It is extremely unlikely you have HIV.

HHH, MD
Okay, thanks...

Earlier today I began to have major stomach pains, and my friend who is a nurse felt it and said she thought my spleen might be a bit enlarged.

If this is the case, is this definitely HIV??

Thanks , again.
No, these problems also don't sound like HIV.

Stop trying to figure it out by analyzing symptoms or online searching.  Have an HIV test, then take it from there.  I won't have any further comments or advice unless and until you report an HIV test result.