HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
p24 test

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

p24 test

Hello

I've had unprotected sex with a person, and 20 minutes after contact a disinfected all that area below , my partner which I'm not really sure of, I don't know her HIV status but I've stared worrying over what happened.

After a week I did a lot of tests(like chlymidia) that can be passed thru unprotected sex and all the results came negative. 34 days after I did HIV antibodies and p24 antigen and it was - (negative) ! When I spoke to the doctor about it, he said that p24 test is not very reliable, as if there was a little part of the virus, this test would not be able to identify it as its is impossible to test 5 litters of blood and only tests a little sample. And I've started to worry even more.

Im worried, because I've had sore throat and and I've read that it is one of the symptoms.

Could you please be so kind and talk me thru my situation and guide me to further actions.

Thank you for your time.  
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your question.

My first advice is to comment on the fact that you had unprotected sex with a partner you don't know well.  I hope that won't happen again.  Please get into the condom habit!  Still, the chances your partner had HIV or that you were infected are very, very low.

I think your doctor doesn't understand HIV testing, especially with p24 antigen, or that you misunderstood something.

The "4th generation" HIV blood test (also called "combo" or "duo" test) checks for both HIV antibody and p24 antigen.  With this test, a negative result at 4 weeks or more after the last possible exposure is 100% reliable.  Although many agencies continue to recommend that a final antibody-only test be done at 3 months, it really isn't necessary.  For more information, see the link below.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---Prevention/p24-test/show/1704700

Also, test results override all other considerations, including symptoms and exposure history.  Even if you knew your partner had HIV (probably she did not) and even if your sore throat were typical for HIV (it is not), your negative test shows for sure you were not infected.  You not be at all worried.

I hope this has helped.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you for your prompt answer doctor!

Im not sure what is the test called but it defiantly had p24 test and HIV test.
Is there any way that some how test is carried out in the wrong way or using wrong (old) equipment as I did the test in the eastern european country, or there is a standard for testing p24 and I should stop worrying?\

Thank you
method they used
Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA)
Don't overthink it.  ELISA is the main technology worldwide for HIV testing and the test methods are virtually foolproof, regardless of where they are done.  You definitely should stop worrying.
Thank you for your help
Last question please. I regularly shave down there and the night when this happend I might of had a small cut or something like that, but that is not for a sure, or sometimes I bit my nails and they have a bit of blood and I remember touching her secret could that somehow be a problem, or  test result that I have is reliable and nomatter what happed that night , I didn't catch anything?
Already answered in my original reply: "...test results override all other considerations...."