HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
possible risk due to condom slip off

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

possible risk due to condom slip off

Hello doctor,
About 5 week's ago I had protected vaginal sex with  random girl, just met. During the intercourse at one point when I removed my penis I found that the condom had slipped off completely and was lying below. Frankly I dont know whether it just fell off or before and I was having unprotected sex. So I asked her about her status and she confirmed negative (2 months earlier) so I was at ease.
Now, I know ars symptoms are common, but I'm scared as a week back I developed fever upto 102 odd and some red rashes on my hands. Maybe coincidental, but scary.
Now, my question is:
1:Am I aT risk?
2:does it call for testing or I can let go?

I'm scared of testing honestly, I know it doesn't change the fate but it scares me.
Thank you.
Tags: condom slip off
Welcome to the forum.  I'll try to help. the answer to your question really depends on when the condom slipped off.  If the condom slipped off as you were exiting your partner, then there is no risk.  This is a common event and when it occurs, because the condom stays behind, it has already done its job of keeping the two of you from being exposed to each other's genital secretions.  There the condom was outside of her makes this the most likely situation.  When condoms slip off during sex, they typically wind up inside the woman's vagina, not outside.  

Can I be sure of the circumstance- no, of course not but odds are that the condom did its job.

As far as your symptoms and this being possible ARS- this is very, very unlikely.  Very few heterosexual women have HIV, when asked most people do tell the truth about testing and infection, and even if she did have HIV your risk for infection is statistically still less than 1 infection per 1000 episodes of sexual intercourse.  It is far, far more likely that the flu-like illness you are experiencing is just that- one of the community acquired, non-STD viral infections that most people get from time to time.

if I were you, I would not be overly concerned about this illness.  On the other hand, if you have had other partners since you were last tested, we would point out that you qualify for periodic STD "screening (testing in the absence of symptoms) because you have had multiple partners over a period of less than a year.  As a matter of personal protection, we recommend annual testing for anyone who has had two or more sex partners in the past year (we consider this to be health maintenance- we also recommend you get your blood pressure and cholesterol checked regularly).

I hope these comments help.  I would not worry about your fever being HIV.  EWH
I had routine blood test and hiv test for some other treatment though, post 1 week after exposure, it was negative. So, certainly in clean before this episode.
Even im not sure if there was any unprotected sex..
I understand my anxiety made me relate incidences,
So is it safe to not test or you suggest teSting?
Thank you so much!
I explained the variables above.  This is a judgement call for you however overall the risk for any infection is low.  EWH
I understand. Thank you very much for your help!
Releaved me of ars fears.
Glad to help. EWH