HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
ring worm
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

ring worm

Someone fingered my anus and four weeks later I got what looked like a ring worm. The internet on some sites states that ring worms can be a sign of hiv.I got a rapid antibody test at 6 weeks and a third generation test at 7 weeks.Do you think I am ok or do I need to test again?They both were negative.
300980_tn?1194933000
Persons with advanced, not recently acquired HIV can sometimes have severe fungal infections which are hard to treat.  In your case, you have strong evidence you did not get HIV from your test results.  Most ring worm occurs in normal persons and you are most likely one such person.  It is most unlikely that your ring worm is a result of the contact you describe. further, as I said above, your test results provide strong evidence that you do not have HIV.  I would not be based that you have ringworm related to HIV.  

I see no need for further testing, particularly if your exposure 7 weeks ago was only masturbation ("fingering").

I hope my comments are helpful.  EWH
8 Comments
Blank
Thanks for your help.To follow up you think seven week test is long enough for hiv to show up
Blank
ssor bt I have one more question. I thought you could also get a hiv rash about four weeks after eposer. does the rash look like a ring wom
Blank
300980_tn?1194933000
No, the rash of ring worm is quite different from that of early HIV.

Please don't worry.  EWH
Blank
Thanks
Blank
300980_tn?1194933000
At 7 weeks a standard HIV antibody test will detect nearly all infected persons.  The timepoint we use for persons to be completely confident however (vs. about 98-99%) is 8 weeks.  EWH
Blank
last question would you be satisfied with the 7 week test. I promise last question.

Blank
300980_tn?1194933000
Yes.  

This thread is now over.  There will be no further answers.

EWH
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker