HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
symptoms and im scared out of my mind

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

symptoms and im scared out of my mind

Hi and thank-you for your time. im not sure how this works and i don't know if i should pick a doctor. You both seem qualified at what you do so i hope it wont matter which one will give me a response. Last February i lost my virginity to a 18 Hispanic female. we engaged in unprotected sex twice (2 separate days) while we were dating and now were just friends. she always tells me shes clean but 6 months later during the summer i developed a dry mouth, canker sores with white little spots on the tongue and the tip of my tongue started burning. also this strange elbow rash which the doctor said was eczema. on your site it says thrush and rashes are a symptom of HIV. after the mouth problems and continuing to this day i keep clearing my throat over 50 times a day. i keep getting white clearish phlegm in my throat im spitting out. im worried that this might be esophageal Candida. It gets alot worse after i eat and drink anything. the doctor also told me if it was candida then you would have pain in your throat and white/clear phlegm is not a sign of esophageal candida. im so scared out of my mind. i took an HIV test today but i thought it would be alright to get what you believe my results will be before the doctor gives me a call. ive only had sex with 2 partners. my current girlfriend which we use protection and the previous one which i stated. please tell me im going to be alright.
Thanks for coming to the forum.  Dr. Hook and I answer questions interchangeably, without regard to specific requests.  Our expertise, opinions, and advice are more or less identical, even if our styles are somewhat different.

Your HIV test almost certainly will be negative.  You don't say where you are, but in most countries the chance any particular 18 year old woman (of any race/ethnicity) has HIV is extremely low.  Second, even if she was infected, the chance of transmission for any single exposure is very low, on the average once for every 2,000 episodes of unprotected vaginal sex.  Third, your symptoms do not sound like those of HIV, despite what you have read.  (And esophageal candida is a late manifestation of HIV, i.e. many years after catching the virus -- and it does not cause cough or phlegm.)

So stay mellow while you await your test result; return with a follow-up comment to let me know what it shows.  It is exceedingly unlikely you have HIV.  Once you get the reassuring result, it will be 100% certain you don't have it and that something else is causing your symptoms.  If they continue or you remain concerned, see a doctor or clinic about them.

Regards--   HHH, MD
i am from chicago and shes an 18 year old hispanic. we did twice unprotected on two different days. ive been noticing shes been getting sick alot lately which scares the hell out of me. i just feel like it adds up. the dry mouth burning tongue, red and white ulcers on my tongue, feels like something is in my throat. white phlegm. but im hoping because even the doctor said it most likely will be negative.  
The information doesn't change my opinion or advice; nothing in this story "adds up" to HIV.  Your doctor is correct.  Try to stop worrying while you wait for the test result.  Let me know what it shows.
doctor thank-you for everything. im new to this thread and im new to the whole std hiv thing and i just have 1 more question. Yes, you are correct. my doctor called me and said my test was 100% Negative. he said there are no numbers. you either have it or you dont. so im glad it is that simple. but since this occured last febuary do i need to get retested any time soon? like i said i apologize if it is a stupid question but i dont know anything about this and you have helped me throughout this entire process. i really dont wanna waste any more of your time since i know how busy you and the other doctor are. so if you could let me know i would appreciate that. thank you doctor Handsfield
You need no further testing on account of your sexual exposure last February.  All people who continue to be sexually active outside a mutually monogamous relationship should be tested for HIV (and other STDs) from time to time, like once every 1-3 years, depending on risk level.  So if you continue to be sexually active, get tested from time to time.  But for sure no need until and unless that happens.