HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
tests reliability

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

tests reliability

Dear Doctor,
I had a one-time high-risk sexual exposure to STDs. After this, I:
@ 44 days experienced 3-4 days fever (38.5 Celsius) and vomiting, took Controloc and Paralen medicaments prescribed by GP for a week
@ 75 days was tested at STD clinic for HIV, HCV, HCB, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia
Tests came back positive for chlamydia and I received antibiotics treatment. All other STDs were tested negative.
My questions are: Given the facs above, what is the likelihood I contracted HIV or HCV and tested falsely negative at 75 days? Do you consider my testing period reliable? Do the medicaments I took or the chlamydia infection prolong the window period for HIV or HCV? Do you recommend further testing? If yes, when?
Thank you.
Welcome to our Forum.  The tests use for diagnosis of HIV are among the most reliable tests for infection ever created and when used at the proper time are highly reliable.  In your case you were tested more than 10 weeks after your exposure which is a time when the tests would be entirely reliable.  Believe your test results.  You did not get HIV from the exposure you describe.  Antibiotics do not change the reliability of tests for HIV in any way.

As far as hepatitis C is concerned, hepatitis C is not a heterosexually transmitted infection.  It is spread through injection of infected material deep into tissue.  It is also rarely spread be rectal intercourse.  If you do not have rectal intercourse, you are not at risk for hepatitis C.  Furthermore, like HIV, the tests for hepatitis C are very reliable and should be believed.  Nothing you have said above suggests any need to worry about hepatitis C.

From what you tell me, you o not need further testing.  I hope this comment is helpful to you.  EWH  
Thank you. It was indeed a heterosexual contact, with her STD status unknown.
Can you please answer my question regarding chlamydia infection I contracted from this exposure? Does chlamydia have any effect on the HIV window period? If she had also HIV, would HIV be transmitted together with chlamydia? In other words, do my positive tests for chlamydia and negative tests for HIV mean that she did not have HIV?
And my last question: Could my symptoms (fever, vomiting) at 44 days after risk possibly be a light form of acute HIV infection and why?
Thank you.
Let me be a bit more concrete, neither anitbiotics given for chlamydial infection, nor the infection itself have any effect on the time it takes for an HIV test to become positive.  That is the reason I told you to believe your test results.

That you do not have HIV from this exposure does not have any impact on whether or not your partner had HIV although it is quite unlikely that she did.  

When symptoms and test results disagree, it is because the symptoms are not due to HIV, not because of problems with the test.  Believe the test results.   EWH