HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
unprotected oral sex with a prostitute

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

unprotected oral sex with a prostitute

6 days ago I had unprotected oral sex with a prostitute in a Berlin brothel. It lasted about 10 minutes. I did not see any visible sores or cuts in her mouth and I did not have any sores or cuts on my penis. What are my risks? Is testing necessary? I am obviously now ridden with guilt and anxiety as I am a happily married man and don't plan on doing this ever again.
Welcome to the Forum. this is a common question.  

Most licensed CSWs in Germany are checked regularly for STDs so it is unlikely that your partner had an STD of any sort, including HIV.  In fact, there are no instances in which receipt of oral sex has been proven to lead to HIV. .  Further, in general, oral sex is an inefficient way to transmit STDs.  Of the bacterial STDs only gonorrhea and nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) are transmitted through receipt of oral sex; chlamydia is not and without an obvious sore or lesion on your partner’s mouth, the chances of syphilis and herpes is likewise tiny.   If you had gotten gonorrhea or NGU you would have most likely developed symptoms of urethritis (penile infection) such as burning on urination or a penile discharge.  Even if your partner had an STD (any STD and it is likely she did not), most exposures do not lead to infection.  In your case, following a single exposure, I would urge you not to worry. If you must, you could go to your local STD clinic or health care provider to be tested at this time.

I hope this comment is helpful.  EWH
Thanks Dr. Hook. Sorry...just a couple of follow-up questions: 1. I just want to make absolutely sure that your comments are specific to having unprotected oral sex, and 2. do you feel it is medically necessary to get tested or is it just for peace of mind? Thanks.
1.  Yes, I realize your exposure was unprotected receipt of oral sex.
2.  The testing would primarily be for your peace of mind. I would assume your risk fo having an STD from this exposure is less than 1%.  EWH
Hi Dr. Hook...if I chioose to test what what be the earliest I could get tested and get a reliable result? Is there a particular test you recommend?

Also, I am no have a bit of stuffy nose and a tingling in my throat. I am definitely feeling a lot of anxiety and stress but do you think these are early symptoms of something serious? Thanks.
If your concern is HIV, testing will not be reliable until about 4 weeks after your exposure.  At that time testing with a combine HIV p24 antigen, HIV antibody test will provide reliable results.  If you test with a test which only detects HIV antibodies, the results will not be reliable until about 8 weeks after your exposure.

If you are seeking testing for other STDs, any test more than 3-5 days after exposure will provide reliable results.  EWH
Hi Dr. Hook

It's been 2 weeks and I have not been having sex with my wife because I was waiting to test at the 4 week mark. Do you think it is ok for me to have unprotected sex with my wife? It is becoming difficult to avoid.
I've already told you it is unlikely that you acquired HIV from this exposure. Thus your choice to abstain from sex is your own choice, not my recommendation.  You are the only person who can assess how they feel about the risks of infection and possible transmission to others. eWH