HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
uti and hiv
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

uti and hiv

Hi DR,

Sorry that if I have asked too much. Firstly, thank you very much for your answers for my thread http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV-Prevention/Help-please/show/1322393?personal_page_id=1698992#post_6046621.
I felt a lot better now. However, I had read something saying that a STD could increase the risk of getting hiv.

On the day of the exposure, I think I had Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) (Acutally, I just felt burning when I unrinate sometimes a few days before but no discharge or other things). I don't know if this was UTI or just the stone in my unrinary track...

I have been so worried during the last 2 months because of some symptoms. I have some white skin/area/coating inside my lower lip (only my lower slip) just 3 days after exposure. I do not know if it is trush (thrush). As trush (thrush) is a sign of hiv (according to the internet search), I'm scared. At the begnning, I did not use any treatment. The symptom improves by itself. However, it never disappeared. So I started to take a medicine APHTORAL which contains: 1) Chlorhexidine Gluconate 3mg, 2) Tetracaine Hydrochloride 0.2mg, 3) Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) 5.25mg. I have taken two tablets and the symptom improves significantly (all white skins gone). I also developed a slightly sore throat (I could drink and eat normally but just irritated) and sometimes pain in my neck for about 6 weeks. Now a dry mouth.... No other ARS such as fever, cough ect.

Only thing I want to clear up was as per answer my risk was zero. Is this because of that I just exposed to very little body fluid? Is the UTI totally unrelated to hiv risk? why some websites say that a STD increased the risk? It was just the combination of stone and possible blood in the saliva made me worry. Would you please give me a brief answer?

Please advice me on this. Thank you very much indeed.

Kind regards,
FanY