HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
vagina fluid into urethral opening/meatus via rubbing, HIV Risk?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hi doctor,

I am a male who rubbed my penis quite vigourously against a women's vagina. I was attempting penetration, my penis was inside the labia fold, and it was rubbing vigourously against the clit, labia area and against her urethral opening. I was NOT successful in penetrating her vagina hole, and so I did not feel the snug feeling that marks penetration versus just rubbing.

However, I have a very large penis hole, and therefore my meatus/urethral opening would have been in contact with the liquids on her labia/clit/inside the lips but just outside her vagina hole. In essence, the meatus/urethral opening likely came into contact with her fluids as my penis was pushing up quite vigourously against her genital area (but again, no penetration).

For the record I had put on a condom but it had broke during this vigorous rubbing, exposing my penis and leading me to ask you about this potential risk.

Is this an HIV risk whatsoever? Dr. HHH said that the main reason transmission doesn't take place without penetration is because of inoculum size. But if she was very wet couldn't there be enough inoculum touching my large penis hole/urethral opening/meatus to infect it, without penetration?
Welcome to the Forum. I will try to help but do not wish to engage in an argument.  To begin with, as we say again and again and again, you do not know that your partner had HIV and the fact is most women are not infected.  More importantly, the FACT is that there are no cases in which HIV has been transmitted from one person to another through sex without penetration.  You are not the first person to rub his penis vigorously over  a partner's vagina and you are most unlikely to be the first person to acquire HIV without penetration.  Your risk for HIV is close to, if not, zero.  

If you are concerned, I suggest you get tested for HIV at a reasonable time following your exposure to provide you with reliable information about your HIV status.  If you have access to DUO tests results will be reliable 4 weeks after your exposure. If not, the results of standard antibody tests will be reliable at 7-8 weeks following the event.

Take care.  EWH