HIV, Living With Community
Diagnosed HIV + and Dependent on Insurance
About This Community:

This is a community for those who have HIV/AIDS, and for family and friends impacted by it. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. All questions and comments. posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.. Under NO circumstances should you act on any advice or opinion posted in any of MedHelp’s communities without first consulting your medical provider. If you have questions regarding your risk for HIV, please visit our HIV Prevention Community.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Diagnosed HIV + and Dependent on Insurance

I was just diagnosed HIV +. I get tested every 3 months and always played safe. So this came as a shock and turned out someone had misinformed me of their status, and the nurse said maybe a condom could have broken.

Anyway. I am trying to move forward in my life.

I am wanting to start treatment, but I am early 20's and still on my parents health insurance.
I need to keep this confidential from my parents, but every month an EOB (explanation of benefits) is sent out. Even though it wouldn't directly state anything about HIV care, it would be pretty obvious to my parents something was up if I started seeing a new Infectious Disease Doctor and was getting numerous blood labs done.

I called my insurance and they said there is nothing they can do to block out certain charges on an EOB.

Is there any HIPAA law that could help me out? or any other option I can explore? My case manager has been far from any real help. They didn't even inform me about EOB's and basically said there was no way my parents could find out if I started treatment under my parent's insurance.

I cannot inform my parents of this diagnosis and am considering foregoing treatment until I get my own job with health insurance. As I get tested every 3 months, I caught it early... how long can I wait until I get my first blood lab?

Any ideas and all help is appreciated.