HIV, Living With Community
Diagnosed HIV + and Dependent on Insurance

This is a community for those who have HIV/AIDS, and for family and friends impacted by it. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. All questions and comments. posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.. Under NO circumstances should you act on any advice or opinion posted in any of MedHelp’s communities without first consulting your medical provider. If you have questions regarding your risk for HIV, please visit our HIV Prevention Community.

I was just diagnosed HIV +. I get tested every 3 months and always played safe. So this came as a shock and turned out someone had misinformed me of their status, and the nurse said maybe a condom could have broken.

Anyway. I am trying to move forward in my life.

I am wanting to start treatment, but I am early 20's and still on my parents health insurance.
I need to keep this confidential from my parents, but every month an EOB (explanation of benefits) is sent out. Even though it wouldn't directly state anything about HIV care, it would be pretty obvious to my parents something was up if I started seeing a new Infectious Disease Doctor and was getting numerous blood labs done.

I called my insurance and they said there is nothing they can do to block out certain charges on an EOB.

Is there any HIPAA law that could help me out? or any other option I can explore? My case manager has been far from any real help. They didn't even inform me about EOB's and basically said there was no way my parents could find out if I started treatment under my parent's insurance.

I cannot inform my parents of this diagnosis and am considering foregoing treatment until I get my own job with health insurance. As I get tested every 3 months, I caught it early... how long can I wait until I get my first blood lab?

Any ideas and all help is appreciated.
In 1988 I was in your position.  Twenty-two years old, just diagnosed, and on my parents' health plan.  I understand your situation may be different than mine, but I highly recommend you tell your parents. It was, without a doubt, the hardest thing I've ever done; especially since my parents are very religious and considered homoexuality to be worse than rape or murder.  Telling them brought us closer than I ever imagined possible.  Another reason to tell them is that you will need to get a certificate of credible coverage from your parents' insurance plan in order to be covered on your own insurance without a significant waiting period for pre-existing conditions.  The certificate proves that you have been covered by insurance for your condition and aren't attempting to purchase insurance just because you have an illness.  By the way, here I am, 23 years later and in great health.  But much of that is due to the support system I relyed on - starting with my parents.