HIV, Living With Community
Drug resistance

This is a community for those who have HIV/AIDS, and for family and friends impacted by it. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. All questions and comments. posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.. Under NO circumstances should you act on any advice or opinion posted in any of MedHelp’s communities without first consulting your medical provider. If you have questions regarding your risk for HIV, please visit our HIV Prevention Community.

Drug resistance

I've been on ARV's (Atripla) for 1 year so far.

I know that the viral load goes up if you get ill. I've had this tonsilitis for almost a month.

Does this change in the viral load increases the chances of creating a resistant strain to the ARV's that i'm talking now? I'm asking this question because i'm undetectable (<20 copies), and when i get ill, i usually reach 100 copies...are these 100 copies enough to create a resistant strain?

Thank you.
It will take several repeated tests to know if you develop resistance. You'll need to discuss it with your ID doctor.