HIV, Living With Community
Forced Treatment Interruption

This is a community for those who have HIV/AIDS, and for family and friends impacted by it. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. All questions and comments. posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.. Under NO circumstances should you act on any advice or opinion posted in any of MedHelp’s communities without first consulting your medical provider. If you have questions regarding your risk for HIV, please visit our HIV Prevention Community.

Forced Treatment Interruption

I am in Montevideo, Uruguay. I was diagnosed with HIV within 6 months of the infection in December 2009 and I decided to start treatment right away. By then I used to live in NYC and the decision of starting treatment right away was mine- I didn’t know what the future would hold! When I was diagnosed my CD4 count was 600 and my viral load 7,000. My genotype showed that my virus was sensitive to all treatments and I started with Atripla. I’ve been undetectable since February 2010 and my CD count has always been above 800. I have no had side effects besides the “reactive” depression that usually follows bad news like “becoming HIV positive” My relationship ended and I moved back to my native country, Argentina. I will no have access to Atripla until mid 2012 because of medical insurance issues.
My question is: in my particular case, what would be the risk of interrupting the treatment and being under control versus keeping taking Atripla until I can get the medicines by my local insurance? In other words, what would be the impact on my immune system of stopping the treatment for about a year under medical care and resuming it when my medical insurance issues in Buenos Aires have been solved?  I read that there is an ongoing clinical trial that will enroll patients who have been undetectable for a year to conduct a structured treatment interruption, is that true? How big are the odds that I would develop resistance to any of the drugs?
Thank you very much for your time.
Carlos Melia