Forced Treatment Interruption
I am in Montevideo, Uruguay. I was diagnosed with HIV within 6 months of the infection in December 2009 and I decided to start treatment right away. By then I used to live in NYC and the decision of starting treatment right away was mine- I didn’t know what the future would hold! When I was diagnosed my CD4 count was 600 and my viral load 7,000. My genotype showed that my virus was sensitive to all treatments and I started with Atripla. I’ve been undetectable since February 2010 and my CD count has always been above 800. I have no had side effects besides the “reactive” depression that usually follows bad news like “becoming HIV positive” My relationship ended and I moved back to my native country, Argentina. I will no have access to Atripla until mid 2012 because of medical insurance issues.
My question is: in my particular case, what would be the risk of interrupting the treatment and being under control versus keeping taking Atripla until I can get the medicines by my local insurance? In other words, what would be the impact on my immune system of stopping the treatment for about a year under medical care and resuming it when my medical insurance issues in Buenos Aires have been solved?  I read that there is an ongoing clinical trial that will enroll patients who have been undetectable for a year to conduct a structured treatment interruption, is that true? How big are the odds that I would develop resistance to any of the drugs?
Thank you very much for your time.
Carlos Melia