HIV, Living With Community
News Article

This is a community for those who have HIV/AIDS, and for family and friends impacted by it. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. All questions and comments. posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.. Under NO circumstances should you act on any advice or opinion posted in any of MedHelp’s communities without first consulting your medical provider. If you have questions regarding your risk for HIV, please visit our HIV Prevention Community.

News Article

I'm not sure if anyone has read this study but it does sound a bit positive for those living with Aids.  It is found in Reuters and is called, "HIV patients build normal immune strength in study."

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN1833203520070718?feedType=RSS&rpc=22&sp=true
This study doesn't present the fact that people on HAART will have to take the drugs for life. Anyone that has taken a vacation from HAART knows that their CD4 levels will drop and their VL will increase. That's the reason the ID doctors no longer recommend med vacations.
This actually might change soon, I read something on that just recently.
The idea is to use HAART to get to undetectable VL, and then take  "maintenance" treatment to keep it that way (possibly just one or two meds).  I would call it FAART )))
I would be interested in reading that information.
Clinicians treating HIV infection must balance the need to suppress viral replication against the harmful side effects and significant cost of antiretroviral therapy. Inadequate therapy often results in the emergence of resistant viruses and treatment failure. These difficulties are especially acute in resource-poor settings, where antiretroviral agents are limited. This has prompted an interest in induction–maintenance (IM) treatment strategies, in which brief intensive therapy is used to reduce host viral levels. Induction is followed by a simplified and more easily tolerated maintenance regimen.

http://compbiol.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pcbi.0030133