HIV, Living With Community
Recently Diagnosed HIV 1 - no strain detected??

This is a community for those who have HIV/AIDS, and for family and friends impacted by it. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. All questions and comments. posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.. Under NO circumstances should you act on any advice or opinion posted in any of MedHelp’s communities without first consulting your medical provider. If you have questions regarding your risk for HIV, please visit our HIV Prevention Community.

Hello.

I have recently tested positive to HIV antibodies through a blood test at my local clinic. The next day, I took an oral fluid test and it came back negative. The following day I did a western blot test and it came back negative.

The next test came back positive; however, the labs could not find my viral load, but they have confirmed the HIV1, but not the strain of the virus. I was asked to come back for more tests to do a more 'sensitive' test to find the virus in my blood.....which still came back as undetectable! My CD4 is around 650.

Finally, the doc asked me to give more blood to send to research labs in UK, which will also be sent to the states to do a cellular sequencing of the virus. Does this mean I might have a different strain through mixing of the virus?

I am so confused and may elect to go on a trial that will be offered next month in the UK, which tests effectiveness of taking medications at different CD4 levels. The pro is that I will likely never have any immune system damage as my CD4 will remain and viral load always remain undetectable, but have to start taking medications many years before the viral load increases/cd4 drops significantly or down to 350, which is when the uk currently starts people on meds. The downside is that I will be taking meds for the rest of my life...

Any ideas on all of this...the doc said this is peculiar...
You don't have HIV.
Personally, I would trust the western blot test.  It is not possible to have HIV antibodies and not have the virus.  If you can get treatment, take it.  Even though your CD4 count is high, I wouldn't wait for it to get lower before seeking treatment.  The sooner you get treatment then better.  I got treatment very shortly after exposure and have been healthy for the past 23 years, undetectable for at least the past 10 years.