HIV, Living With Community
Rectal suppository and condom

This is a community for those who have HIV/AIDS, and for family and friends impacted by it. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. All questions and comments. posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.. Under NO circumstances should you act on any advice or opinion posted in any of MedHelp’s communities without first consulting your medical provider. If you have questions regarding your risk for HIV, please visit our HIV Prevention Community.

Rectal suppository and condom

Hi people! Perhaps it is a stupid question, but it annoys me. I'm HIV+ gay and have anal sex with men. I have hemmorhoids and use suppository 'Relief' to treat them. Often I have receptive anal sex only 1-2 hours after having used a suppository.
Some suppositories have a side-effect, and it is mentioned in their description - "using with condoms may cause condom failure". However, there are no words about interaction of my suppository with condoms in the medication description. Still, oil-based ingredients do present in it. Is there any risk of a condom failure and HIV transmission when using it with my suppository?
That is something you should talk with your Dr about. Anything oil based can cause a condom to weaken, that is why water based lube is recommended.
Thanks Vance. For my condoms didn't fail yet, I think I'm a lucky guy. Still you are right, it's better to consult a doctor.