HIV, Living With Community
Trying to cope and support

This is a community for those who have HIV/AIDS, and for family and friends impacted by it. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. All questions and comments. posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.. Under NO circumstances should you act on any advice or opinion posted in any of MedHelp’s communities without first consulting your medical provider. If you have questions regarding your risk for HIV, please visit our HIV Prevention Community.

Trying to cope and support

I just found out last night that my 18 year old son has been diagnosed. He has a viral load count of 480 and he is currently being treated with the drug Antripla, but lately he has been complaining of stomach pain and he has lost some weight. I want to support him and make sure he maintains his health. This is devastating and I have literally cried my eyes out all night and yes I know it is not a death sentence, but he is my only son and my heart hurts. What do I do to assist and support?
The most important thing you can do is be there for him.  Initially, my parents told me I was going to Hell; that was devastating.  We've come a very long way since then - 23 years ago - and my mom is my best friend.  I don't take Antripla, but I can say that the treatments today are light-years beyond what they were when I was diagnosed in 1988.  I've been healthy for the past 23 years - no HIV-related illnesses - and my viral load is undetectable.  I know it hurts, but you're right - it is NOT a death sentence.  
I found out about my son being positive 2 weeks ago, it looks like my life have ended,I know is not a death sentence but seeing him so hurt and depressed,is terrible,I put my best face in front of him but when I am alone
I cry all the time,as you have been here already, tell me if it will get better ,I am a cancer survivor,but nothing compare wuith this pain.