HIV, Living With Community
Vacuolar Myelopathy

This is a community for those who have HIV/AIDS, and for family and friends impacted by it. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. All questions and comments. posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.. Under NO circumstances should you act on any advice or opinion posted in any of MedHelp’s communities without first consulting your medical provider. If you have questions regarding your risk for HIV, please visit our HIV Prevention Community.

Vacuolar Myelopathy

Hi, I have a question regarding my long term partner.  He has had a cd-4 count which seems to bounce between 150-225 for the past six years.  His legs have been giving him issues for the past couple of months.  He has done some research and found that it could be either nueropathy or vauolar myelopathy.  I have read that the prognosis for VM is bleak, 6-12 months from the time symptoms appear.  However, he has had issues with his legs in the past.  His brother passed away from MS.  I have read up on the symtoms (symptoms) of VM and they seem to be fairly generic to me, meaning that they could fit 30% of the US population.  The two that stood out that he does not have are incontinence and impotence.  My question is this:  if he had VM would the condition progress so severely over a two or three month span that it would be quite noticeable that something was wrong.  He still is able to walk and works a very part-time job as a janitor.  

http://timehasshownme.blogspot.com
  • panic mode (3 replies):
    Hello, Doctors my concerns are as follows............abo...[more]
Tell him he needs to discuss it with his ID doctor.