HIV, Living With Community
What is sero-conversion?

This is a community for those who have HIV/AIDS, and for family and friends impacted by it. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. All questions and comments. posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.. Under NO circumstances should you act on any advice or opinion posted in any of MedHelp’s communities without first consulting your medical provider. If you have questions regarding your risk for HIV, please visit our HIV Prevention Community.

What is sero-conversion?

Can anyone tell me what sero-conversion is? Ive just been recently diagnoised and due to the shock (still in shock) i have not been back to the clinic for any advise, counselling or information.  Only what I have read on MedHelp...all this is still new to me so please forgive my ignorance.
When a person goes from negative to positive. What was your exposure?
I am also not use to the terminology used, so i am guessing you mean if i had unprotected sex...? yes i did with a guy who believes he has not got HIV due to him being circumsized and the fact that he never ejaculated in me...yet i was tested positive in May having been tested negative in March ... Im not sure if i have answered ur exposure question correctly...sorry!!
Apologies Teak, i understand what you mean by exposure now...i tested negative on March 9th this year.  I then had sex as described in previous comment on 28 march this yr...became ill on April 3 for two weeks...had a test done end of April beginning May that was inconclusive, repeated test third week in May and the was positive...so exposure was from 28th March through to 6th April....Hope that answers ur question.............
was this positive result confirmed with a western blot?
I am really sorry Lizzie, but i do not know what you mean by western blot....I am not familiar with that terminology...Sorry
all positive antibody tests need to be confirmed by a western blot to rule out a false positive
Thank you for your explaination...the first second test done this year was on April 11th it took two weeks for the result but i was told that i needed to repeat because the test came back inconclusive.  I repeated bloods three times.  The fourth time was done at a different clinic and that result was positive...Have i answered the question regarding western blot??
you had 3 negative test results and then a positive?

when were the negative results obtained?  how many weeks after your unprotected sex?
You should definitely get another test and then a confirmatory test. Did you have unprotected sex before you got tested on March 9th? If so, how soon before?
This is a forum for individuals who are HIV positive or have AIDS to connect and support each other.
did not have any unprotected sex prior to march 9th only oral sex where i received and never gave...
my negative result was obtained on March 9th 2011...there was no unprotected sex prior to that period from november 2010 to March 2011.  unprotected sex commenced March 28th 2011