HIV Anxiety Support User Group
Got Herpes, what is risk of HIV?
About This Group:

This support group is for those who are suffering from stress or anxiety associated with uncertain HIV status. HIV anxiety is extremely isolating for those who are going through it, as it is often very difficult to discuss with friends and family members. This group is provided for sufferers of HIV anxiety to discuss their fears in a supportive environment. Those with anxiety over non-HIV STDs are also welcome. For personal advice concerning HIV risk, testing, and prevention, please post in the HIV Prevention Community.

Founded by joggen on October 4, 2009
1229 members

Got Herpes, what is risk of HIV?

I'm sure this goes for most, but I'm terrified. 10 days ago, I had sex with a new partner (high-risk, street kid from Mexico - stupid, I know, I'm reminded every second of the day). I got sick within 24 hours, got sore throat, and itchy labia. Went to the doctor within 48 hours (Mexican doctor, I currently live in Mexico). Got a vaginal swab and syphilis and herpes II test. Developed blisters on labia. Tests come back, I've got herpes and candida, no syphilis.

We had sex twice; once at night, once in the morning. I contracted herpes at some point during the total of 15 minutes (not worth it). That morning, condom came off as he pulled out. Bottom of condom was outside my body, I pulled it out, but some fluids were in contact with my vagina.

So, I went on http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/hiv?page=basics-00-15 because I wanted answers and not ask redundant questions. However, now I am even more worried. It says having herpes makes it more likely that I got HIV (especially because I got my first infection from him). All in all, what is the likelyhood of me having contracted HIV if he has it? I am getting him tested when I see him next week (last test came up "no reactivo" which translates to "no reaction" which translates to that they didn't have a large enough amount of blood from him, according to Mexican doctor). Even though he will get tested, and it may say negative, I want to get a PCR test done, not have sex for two months with anyone, get another test done.

I'm terrified, I'm anxious, I think about it 24/7, I have nightmares about it, I wake up thinking about it at night, I can't work, I can't sleep.

Thoughts? What is my risk?
Tags: HIV anxiety herpes
1 Comment
Your risk is not high. Test at 3 months for a conclusive result.
cannotstopworried added the Anxiety/Panic Tracker
Aug 31
cannotstopworried commented on positive
Aug 30
JGF25 OCD is not about reassuranc... Comment
Aug 29