HIV Anxiety Support User Group
HIV anxiety, test results take ages to come back
About This Group:

This support group is for those who are suffering from stress or anxiety associated with uncertain HIV status. HIV anxiety is extremely isolating for those who are going through it, as it is often very difficult to discuss with friends and family members. This group is provided for sufferers of HIV anxiety to discuss their fears in a supportive environment. Those with anxiety over non-HIV STDs are also welcome. For personal advice concerning HIV risk, testing, and prevention, please post in the HIV Prevention Community.

Founded by joggen on October 4, 2009
1200 members

Hi Guys, looking for some reassurance in this difficult time:(
2 years ago I had a brief unprotected exposure to a guy of unknown status. I am female. We started of with a condom but it broke and the last 2-3 minutes were unprotected, with him ejaculating outside, although cant be sure if nothing got in. I panicked badly straight after and got checked for stds at 4 weeks (all clear) and had a rapid 4th generation test done at 5 weeks, which was negative. In the meantime I was so frightened I contacted the guy and asked him to get tested which he a few days later got back to me saying he tested negative. Anxiety is making me doubts whether he actually tested, reason says he did as I think I scared him quite a bit. Reassured I let this go to back of my mind for a long time. Recently the anxiety came back and I got tested again with the rapid determine alere 4th generation test and it came back negative again. I was relieved for a moment but the same day I tested with a conventional HIV test and need to wait for those results. That was 4 days ago and I still don't hear back so I'm panicking in all sorts of ways!

I'm worried the rapid test was false negative as there was trouble to get blood out of my finger and it didn't quite fill the the testing pipette. also the lady administering the test was not trained and had to be supervised by a nurse while doing it so I'm worried about the accuracy:(

The blood drawn test results I was told come back within 2 weeks but usually within 2 days! It's been 4 days now so I'm out of mind with worry. Can't eat, the constant anxiety makes it very difficult to live and breathe. I know I should try to relax and just wait for the results but it's very hard when mind is in overload! I'm constantly thinking that the reason why my results are not in yet is because they are bad news and they do confirmatory testing:(

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Hey, no tengas miedo, you´ve already had two tests that came out negative.
And the guy also tested negative. I don´t think there´s any reason for you to doubt it because after that you felt reassured.
The anxiety now is because of your mind, my mind is like that too, it causes anxiety without any logical reason. So don´t worry.
Most of the blood drawn tests usually take time and not because of the confirmatory testing, as they´ve told you even 2 weeks, so 4 days is nothing. I had an hiv test (elisa) two months ago and I felt just like you waiting for the results.
You´ll be fine :)
It's very common in the uk for clinics to state a 2 week wait time although if you were positive they tell you within day's .

That said you have already tested negative so unless you have had a risk since this test is quite pointless and you test results will be as they were in your last test.
Thanks guys for your support. It really helps to be able to talk to someone. I know that if I haven't die the other tests I would be probably much calmer! But waiting for results is just putting my mind in overdrive and I convinced myself that the rapid test wasn't done correctly:( is it even possible? Would it show positive even of there wasn't that much blood in the pipette? Is a false negative possible at this timeframe???I must sound crazy to you guys but I'm so scared I haven't even at all today:(
Don´t be scared, there´s no reason to. If the rapid test had not been done correctly the medical staff would have told you so, they wouldn´t have given you the negative result. But if the result was negative, you can trust it. The rapid tests have like a check line to make sure the test result can be trusted.
You have nothing to be scared about. You have not even had a risk. Stop with the dramatics and understand what is written.
drifter0213 commented on Infiltrated Fistula
Apr 12
LIZZIE LOU commented on "I Tried So Hard...
Apr 09
IBKleen commented on "I Tried So Hard...
Apr 09