HIV Anxiety Support User Group
HIV is scare - taking its toll on my life
About This Group:

This support group is for those who are suffering from stress or anxiety associated with uncertain HIV status. HIV anxiety is extremely isolating for those who are going through it, as it is often very difficult to discuss with friends and family members. This group is provided for sufferers of HIV anxiety to discuss their fears in a supportive environment. Those with anxiety over non-HIV STDs are also welcome. For personal advice concerning HIV risk, testing, and prevention, please post in the HIV Prevention Community.

Founded by joggen on October 4, 2009
1240 members

Trying really hard not to feel depressed or anxious. Any advice on how best to manage would be greatly appreciated.

My risk:
Unprotected oral sex with a massage girl. Lasted a few minutes. I didn't ses any sores on her lips but I didnt take a good look at the state of her inner mouth. She could have had sores and I would not have been able to see it. Plus I was drunk.

My situation:
Feeling fatigued all the time, had been sick for a while, started off as a stomach flu and now my stomach is slowly recovering. I had what looked to be jock itch type fungus on my crotch that I have never gotten before. I had an episode of dry skin all over the body and including the palms of my hands. Plus my joints are a bit achy and constantly cracking.

Tests done so far:
At week 3: all STIs and STDs (Chlamedia, Ghonorea (Gonorrhea), Syphilis, HIV and Hep A/B/C - all negative

At week 5: same test as week three - all negative

At 40 days (almost 6 weeks) - rapid HIV test - negative

My doctor's advice:
Says I do not have HIV and that I need to relax and do other things to keep off google searching or self diagnosing. I dont know why, but I dont fully believe what he is saying. He said there is nothing concerning about my symptoms plus I did a regular blood test and he said that looked good. He suggested I seek consulting to help with the anxiety.

Do I sound crazy? I am still within the window period so isnt there technically still a small risk that I may turn out positive?

Do my symptoms sound like HIV?

The incident happened two months ago, would someone with HIV have an immune system compromised enough to do this within two months?

Is there anything else that can cause the kinds of symptoms I am feeling other than HIV?

If I sound like I am being ridiculous, can anyone give me advice on how to manage my anxiety without having to go to counseling?
Tags: HIV, Anxiety, Oral, sex
Sorry for the title mistake.

Anyone? Any advice for me?

Am I being ridiculous? Or should I truly be worried?
Also wanted to mention that I am in a committed relationship. My gf has been sick for a while and her symptoms are almost exactly the same as mine. It's really a tremendous weight on my head that I can't seem to get rid of.
Your doctor is SPOT ON. Your doctor's advice trumps that you will receive on any internet forum. but we can confirm that he is correct. Guilt is most likely contributing to your situation because you are in a committed relationship. Work on your guilt with a therapist your HIV worries will resolve.
Can stress and guilt make you feel sick for this long?

Also forgot to mention that in my regular blood work he said my WBC was low and due to something I was fighting a month ago. He said to give it a month and try test again. He said otherwise he said my blood work looked really good. He also said if he had concerns he would tell me and not keep it from me. So a big freaked out after this since that low wbc could be from hiv. Although he assured me it wasn't.

I'm trying my best to stay positive and even went to work out yesterday. It's been2 months since I did any physical activity and I felt good. But still, my energy is weak and I still feel achy in joints in the morning and that fungal jock itch that took over a week to get rid of seems to be coming back. Making me think my immune system is still weak and the WBC still low.

You are right that my dr's advice trumps any online. I will have to try and accept nothing is wrong with me and move on. If anyone has experience with this, what kinds of things help you keep your mind off thoughts of death and hiv?

xicaxica85 commented on Bad breath, bad taste...
Nov 19
liamnek joined this group
Welcome them!
Nov 15
athina28 joined this group
Welcome them!
Nov 14