How to stop being a worried well, can't afford therapy.
Hi All,

I am looking for advice regarding getting over my "worried well" syndrome.  Almost 13 months ago, I gave unprotected oral sex to a woman of unknown status, in which I had some small cuts on my gums from brushing/flossing 30 min prior.  Afterwards, I had mouth ulcers and numerous other symptoms (and still continue to have strange symptoms) which I will not get into as I know they are irrelevant.  I have had negative antibody tests after the window period and also an undetectable pcr viral load test at about 1 year.  I felt relieved and a few weeks ago donated blood to the red cross as a way of giving back.  Now every time I get a sore throat, loose stool, runny nose, or a new bump or wart on my body I instantly think back to HIV.  I have spoken to my doctor and read from all of the experts on the internet and I still can't shake the worry that I have HIV.  I always think that I may have a rare subtype of HIV or I am one of the extremely rare few who does not produce antibodies.  I know all the statistics and I know how incredibly unlikely these things are and that they would likely be picked up by the tests I have taken.  I worry that I have infected someone else through my blood donation, I worry that I have infected my current girlfriend.  I know that these worries are irrational and would like to get over them, I cannot afford therapy as it is not covered by my insurance.  Does anyone have advice for techniques, resources, or anything else that can help one get over being a worried well?  Thank you for your time and help.  
You should be able to find a therapist that fits your budget. There are some clinics associated with universities as well as community mental health clinics that offer fees on a sliding scale. There are also occasionally therapists that do volunteer work for churches. Just use google to search for sliding scale therapists in your area.
Thank you joggen.  I will follow up with a mental health professional, hopefully I can find one that fits my budget.  
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Charliechuckle joined this group
Welcome them!
Feb 06
drifter0213 commented on my knee
Feb 03
AnxiatyBob joined this group
Welcome them!
Feb 01