HIV Anxiety Support User Group
How to stop being a worried well, can't afford therapy.
About This Group:

This support group is for those who are suffering from stress or anxiety associated with uncertain HIV status. HIV anxiety is extremely isolating for those who are going through it, as it is often very difficult to discuss with friends and family members. This group is provided for sufferers of HIV anxiety to discuss their fears in a supportive environment. Those with anxiety over non-HIV STDs are also welcome. For personal advice concerning HIV risk, testing, and prevention, please post in the HIV Prevention Community.

Founded by joggen on October 4, 2009
1218 members

Hi All,

I am looking for advice regarding getting over my "worried well" syndrome.  Almost 13 months ago, I gave unprotected oral sex to a woman of unknown status, in which I had some small cuts on my gums from brushing/flossing 30 min prior.  Afterwards, I had mouth ulcers and numerous other symptoms (and still continue to have strange symptoms) which I will not get into as I know they are irrelevant.  I have had negative antibody tests after the window period and also an undetectable pcr viral load test at about 1 year.  I felt relieved and a few weeks ago donated blood to the red cross as a way of giving back.  Now every time I get a sore throat, loose stool, runny nose, or a new bump or wart on my body I instantly think back to HIV.  I have spoken to my doctor and read from all of the experts on the internet and I still can't shake the worry that I have HIV.  I always think that I may have a rare subtype of HIV or I am one of the extremely rare few who does not produce antibodies.  I know all the statistics and I know how incredibly unlikely these things are and that they would likely be picked up by the tests I have taken.  I worry that I have infected someone else through my blood donation, I worry that I have infected my current girlfriend.  I know that these worries are irrational and would like to get over them, I cannot afford therapy as it is not covered by my insurance.  Does anyone have advice for techniques, resources, or anything else that can help one get over being a worried well?  Thank you for your time and help.  
You should be able to find a therapist that fits your budget. There are some clinics associated with universities as well as community mental health clinics that offer fees on a sliding scale. There are also occasionally therapists that do volunteer work for churches. Just use google to search for sliding scale therapists in your area.
Thank you joggen.  I will follow up with a mental health professional, hopefully I can find one that fits my budget.  
Iwillneverdoitagain joined this group
Welcome them!
Tijuca joined this group
Welcome them!
juanfearsfreddy joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 19