HIV Anxiety Support User Group
Possible HIV exposure and anxiety
About This Group:

This support group is for those who are suffering from stress or anxiety associated with uncertain HIV status. HIV anxiety is extremely isolating for those who are going through it, as it is often very difficult to discuss with friends and family members. This group is provided for sufferers of HIV anxiety to discuss their fears in a supportive environment. Those with anxiety over non-HIV STDs are also welcome. For personal advice concerning HIV risk, testing, and prevention, please post in the HIV Prevention Community.

Founded by joggen on October 4, 2009
1240 members

Possible HIV exposure and anxiety

I had unprotected sex with a CSW in a foriegn country. After 2-3 days I had burning/tingling sensation in urethra and frequent urination, I went to the doctor after 1 week and had a full suite of std tests, but only came back positive for a UTI and was given Cipro. After the course of Cipro I still had symptoms so I went to a different doctor who prescribed doxycycline. After a week of the doxy I still had symptoms and went back and they gave me more doxy along with flagyl. Finally the symptoms went away, so I was thinking I got Trich based on the flagyl treatment, but never tested for it, but I've read men don't usually get symptoms. Now after searching more on the net I realized my firsts tests were in the window period for most tests but the doctor never said anything, so thinking I was fine I had sex with my wife. After finding out about the window periods I stopped having sex with her and I had 2 HIV tests done at 5 weeks and 6 weeks, both were HIV I/II antigen antibody tests and came out negative and had a hep b/c test done at 8 weeks which was negative, also tested liver and kidney function which came out fine. Now I have so much anxiety about every symptom.. sore neck and jaw, headache, fatigue, yellow stool and constipation, abdominal pain that comes and goes and my wife has been complaining of fatigue even though I haven't told her anything about my exposure. I can't function at a normal level with the stress and I think it may be causing some symptoms too but a few times a day I feel like I have an anxiety attack especially if my wife says something about a symptom she has.

How satisfied should I be with both HIV and Hep tests at this point?

I plan to get another test at 12 weeks for HIV and Hep b/c but also don't know how much I trust the medical facilities where I live.
Tags: HIV
A 6 week negative is not going to change. Expect another negative.
I'm really having major anxiety today, doubting my test results as I called the clinic and they seemed hesitant to even describe the type of HIV tests they do, I asked if it was HIV p24 antigen/antibody test and they said it was a screening and then a confirmation if that is positive, I asked again if it was antigen and antibody test and they said yes but didn't seem confident.  I don't know what to do and can't stop thinking about how a positive result would affect my wife and daughter.  The stress and anxiety is unbearable.
The generation doesn't matter- your test was more than 99% accurate. Continued testing will be negative.
I had a 10 week rapid test done in Canada and it came back negative.  This was an antibody only test.  Do you think I need to test again after 12 weeks?
Since you're asking the question then yes. It will be also be negative. Smooth sailing from here on out.
12 week test came out negative, but I still have swollen lymph nodes in the neck, which my doctor confirmed as slightly swollen and redness in throat.  Not sure if I have some other virus but I think I am in the clear for HIV.
You are DEFINITELY in the clear for HIV. Continue to work with your doctor.
xicaxica85 commented on Bad breath, bad taste...
Nov 19
liamnek joined this group
Welcome them!
Nov 15
athina28 joined this group
Welcome them!
Nov 14