HIV Anxiety Support User Group
Random stabs of pain. Anxiety or HIV?
About This Group:

This support group is for those who are suffering from stress or anxiety associated with uncertain HIV status. HIV anxiety is extremely isolating for those who are going through it, as it is often very difficult to discuss with friends and family members. This group is provided for sufferers of HIV anxiety to discuss their fears in a supportive environment. Those with anxiety over non-HIV STDs are also welcome. For personal advice concerning HIV risk, testing, and prevention, please post in the HIV Prevention Community.

Founded by joggen on October 4, 2009
1235 members

Random stabs of pain. Anxiety or HIV?

Post this question on the Anxiety group but no-one answers there, hope someone can help here. Thanks.

I am a male in my mid 30s who did something very stupid early February. Met a girl in a bar and we went on to have unprotected oral sex (she did a fellatio to me) followed by protected sex. Full story here:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV-Prevention/Lump-in-the-neck-after-unprotected-oral-sex-insertive/show/1701567

I have been told several times in this and another forums that I had no HIV risk whatsoever, however I had very scary symptoms three weeks after the incident including a small-marble size swollen lymph node in the left side of my neck followed by an urinary infection. All this went away 2 weeks later (Dr. suggested me to take Cyprofloxacin). I took an HIV test (4th Generation) 5 and 9 weeks after the incident. My urologist told me I can be calm with the 9 weeks test, although official guidelines suggest a 12 week test. Again, due the nature of my "risk", most experts I consulted said I have nothing to worry about.

14 weeks after the incident I also tested for other STDs: Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, NGU. Everything came back negative. Instead of being happy I was a bit sad none of them was positive. I was hoping one of these could explain the lymph node on the neck and the urinary infection.

Shortly afterwards (so +3 months after incident) I have started experiencing random stabs of pain throughout my body. They are in very small areas, I get them in lymph node areas like jaw, armpits, groin. Sometimes I get them in areas that are not lymph nodes as well. They last for a few seconds, then they go away. Lymph nodes are not swollen.

Of course, those random pains in my body have scared me A LOT and now I am considering going for a final HIV test, but at the same time I am VERY scared to do so. I am thinking that I may be a case of delayed seroconversion (virtually everyone infected with HIV test positive at 6 weeks, but some do test later, hence the 12 weeks window).

I would like to know if anyone had similar symptoms. Can be this be caused by stress and Anxiety? It's about 4 months now since that night and there has not been a single day where I didn't think of HIV :(

Thanks in advance.
I had the same symptoms while I was anxious about HIV. I also got random pains in certain areas. I don't know it could be caused by anxiety, but I guess it could be the trigger.
Here's a link with an explanation of anxiety symptoms:
http://www.npadnews.com/anxiety-symptoms.asp

I know the feeling and I hope with the final test you can finally move on.

All the best.
That's it. My blood was drawn for the third and last time (hopefully). Results next week.

Testing is a very relaxing and liberating thing. Going to get the results, that's a different story.

But is always better to be sure than killing you with anxiety thinking "what if". Hopefully, I won't be the first on this forum to seroconvert after a 4th generation test 9 weeks post incident. Or better said, hopefully, no-one in this forum will seroconvert beyond that time frame, ever.
I am experiencing the same thing!! I have pain in all those areas but I can feel my lymph nodes in my neck as well. I have a conclusive test but came here because I was worried about these pains. Maybe we are all suffering from anxiety??
holygrace12 joined this group
Welcome them!
dwella added the Mood Tracker
Oct 16
dwella joined this group
Welcome them!
Oct 16